Wide belt sander is red-tagged again (Resolved)

Similar behavior to what was seen over the weekend. More to come

I’ve been very busy and haven’t been able to be in the shop much recently (or active on discord) so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

But I wonder if there need to be very clear signs outlining the machines that require a special class to operate? I know that there have been a few times recently where I’ve seen people around the wide belt sander who looked like they were trying to figure out how to operate it but clearly hadn’t taken the class. Someone actually asked me once to turn the machine on for them to use because they couldn’t figure it out (I told them they needed to take the class). I’ve also heard different people joke about using these machines (sander, lathes, welders) despite not having taken the classes because they didn’t feel it was necessary to spend money and time learning the protocols

It is frustrating when these specialized tools are out of commission due to improper use

3 Likes

Update here. There is an internal sensor that has gone bad, and the woodshop stewards are working on getting a replacement part

4 Likes

Just bumping this to the top again so folks see this

1 Like

Earlier today the wide belt sander was operating as usual. If you are using the machine, you do have to make sure the air is turned on (otherwise nothing functions). The bottom amber light is expected to be on with normal operations

1 Like

Jose ran it for a while and did run into a problem. It seems like the belt started tracking incorrectly after extended run time. He adjusted the tracking, and then used it significantly longer afterwards with no further problems.

2 Likes

That is a new issue - there is an issue with tracking. The machine should stop when that happens and allow to reset the paper , and then should be fine again .
I’ll take another look the next time I am there - I’m not sure if its an air plumbing issue or something else .

1 Like

The machine did stop when the belt hit the limiting switches. It did it several times until i got the right adjustment on the rollers. I ran the machine for two hours after the last adjustment with no issues. The test was machine under a decent load using 24" wide boards (25 amps), machine running with no load, machine with a decent load, machine with a heavy load (30 amps or so). There were about six cycles run. That was when it was put out as “resolved.”

2 Likes