Vacuum pump & pot

Does the space have a vacuum pump and pot/chamber. I want to try my hand at resin casting & mold making before I sink a couple hundred dollars in the pump and pot.

Thanks

We have neither to my knowledge

At this time we do not. It’s been suggested once or twice but I’m not aware of the notion advancing as far as a hosting request or purchase proposal.

I have a vacuum pump at home, but have not set up the pot. I too use resin a lot, and I would be using it primarily for removing bubbles before a pour.

Interestingly enough. I once tried my shop vac to remove air bubbles from an epoxy mix in a two gallon mixing contanier. The only thing I had to “cap” off the container was a 12 inch sawblade. the arbor hole was perfect for the vacuum to suck through. Even with this crude attempt, it was pulling air out of the mix. Probably no where near enough for molding.

If you have a pot setup in mind, I can bring my pump in for you to use.

$66 shipping included.

I have the 1.5 gallon version of this pot and can recommend it.
That said, mine can only hold small stabilization projects.
With storage space and varied uses, larger is better.

For degassing batches of epoxy my 1.5 gal version is fine.

I did notice the other day there’s a small single stage rotary vane vacuum pump over in the autobay. It didn’t have a name on it that I saw, but not sure if someone donated it or just left it there.

dunno if that works properly I think it leaks. Greg was messing around with it and then gave up.

Gotcha, yeah those cheap ones break really easily. The vanes are all plastic, so they inevitably don’t last long once they get embrittled. They can be replaced if you really want to, but probably not worth the time.