The "I'm Building a Bench" Informal Meetup Thread

Hey guys,
We’ve been discussing in the halls the prospect of building a bench independently and collaboratively. @ashleyrlee said that there were several people who expressed interest in tackling a larger project similar to this - so I figured why not make it in a meetup setting and everyone can make (or watch others make) a bench together.

The Bench
I’m a huge fan of Jens Risom, and as such I’m making a Jens Risom bench/coffee table. I’ve already made a monitor stand in this vein before, and I don’t anticipate this project being very difficult at all. Maybe only slightly expensive depending on the wood species one chooses. I may throw in some American of Martinsville features, depending on how the base bench build goes.

Jens Risom:

American of Martinsville:

We’ll meet Tuesdays after work (7:00ish?). I hope it doesn’t take any longer than 4-5 weeks, a few hours a week (famous last words). If you want to build along make sure to book space in the woodshop. Otherwise, I’m going to try and post on this thread with steps and progress as the project unfolds. Hopefully, we can get everyone else who’s involved in this experiment to contribute advice and updates as well.

@lukeg @MarkJackson

5 Likes

Looking forward to this!

1 Like

Sadly, I am in my New Mexico not Austin part of the year or I would be all in for this. Great idea.

2 Likes

I’m making a list of required tools.

You don’t need to buy exactly these ones. You can get all this at Woodcraft or Rockler. These are the exact items I have, but you may find better options for you:

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/39H956UPRY4Z3

1 Like

I’m in.

1 Like

What wood are you using? Casual reading said he preferred oak and walnut.

I’m using a some junk walnut that I bought off Craigslist, and some scrap plywood I have left over from my kitchen for the top.

Alder is a good wood and is cheap.

Welcome aboard
I’m going to book Tuesday 7:00pm this week

Is there a plan for the project? Should I bring wood on Thursday*?

*Wednesday, my bad

There are no plans, just a general direction.

Tuesday @7:00pm. I suppose if you want to follow along? But you can also wait if that makes more sense till after we all met and you get an idea of the project and how it’s going to go. I got some wood that I need to do a little milling left to do.

I’m hoping to:

1. Talk about the bench and its design/parts
  2. Finish milling the lumber
  3. Make a sled for the parts

So perhaps there won’t be so strong of a need to have the wood on hand (unless you want to get a jump start on milling as well). We get the new bandsaw in today, Maybe we can do some resawing and save some money.

I’ll bring in my monitor stand so everyone can see the design/component parts.

Throwing this in for future reference.

1 Like

Edit: Moved to Tues.

Looks like Wednesday has a Woodshop Safety class. Hopefully, this isn’t a recurring theme.

Woodshop Safety is every Wednesday.

Damn. I’m going to move this to Tuesday then.

@Iammikecohen @lukeg @MarkJackson
See Above.

2 Likes

Your booking says 7-9:30 and your post says 8:30-10:30. I added a booking that matches yours, though I don’t expect to mill anything. If 8:30 is the start I may move back my booking and show up closer to that time.

It’s 7:00. The post was based on Wednesday’s collision with wood-shop safety. I struggled with what to edit and what to leave historically accurate. I’ll edit the post, as it’s obvious I was wrong.

1 Like

As promised here’s the design that we discussed last night.

Here’s a jig I made today between meetings that we should be able to use for the taper/angle cuts. I’m still working on fixing some of the bad wood that I’m using, so I may just ahead a little as I trim away the broken pieces looking for the the Good Parts™

2 Likes

Hi Bench Making crew. Sorry I missed this week. I was traveling for work and still get a little confused by discource.

2 Likes

I’m going to make that trapezoidal piece (which I want to call the yoke) out of 1" wood milled from 6/4
I plan to mill the pieces* tomorrow once I’ve better locked down my dimensions.

2 Likes

@MarkJackson No problem. You only missed some early milling and design talk. The design is up a post or two.

We’re doing Tuesdays at 7:00. Book a slot.

Bring some wood.

@Iammikecohen that looks rad. Is that fusion or Sketchup? 15" Tall?

1 Like

It’s Fusion and parametric. I haven’t nailed down dimensions and I’m AFK; I’ll provide dimensions later. I think that’s 17”H 19”D

Would you like the Fusion file?

1 Like