Swift 5x10 RED TAGGED (RESOLVED)

Doing a very small job with very conservative speeds and feeds and one of the bolts from the spindle mount apparently sheared off inside the threads and shot out at me, and one bolt is completely missing.

Unless someone has the ability to extract the broken off bit inside we need a new motor mount.

@SteveW @AlexSchoedler @Bcpowder wanted to be sure you saw this given reservations tomorrow

1 Like

Smol update to this scenario; it’s looking much better of a prognosis after @mgmoore did a bit of a deeper dive.

Seems like we should only need a couple bolt replacements, but no telling how quickly those can be acquired and the machine recalibrated.

It looks like it needs some general TLC as well

4 Likes

That sucks the machine is down. The missing bolt came out at some point and no one noticed a random allen bolt on the bed or floor?? I’m glad it is not as bad. We can get bolts on Monday.

We ended up finding the second bolt about 10 feet away after it crashed into a trash can.

Both of them sheared off, but Ethan discovered they’re thru bolts so not as damaging as initially expected.

Either way something that should not be happening and deserves a deeper look

3 Likes

Any ETA on this? I’m not trying to rush anyone, just trying to plan a project.

Hopefully by the end of the week. Repair plans are in place

1 Like

The repairs to the Swift were completed tonight. I believe we got the new spindle trammed to within .001 in. I surfaced the spoilboard and everything looks good so far. If no complaints are found, I will likely replace the spoilboard Friday night.
Thanks to @morrism14 for a tremendous helping hand, and @JoeN for having the correct tool to tram the CNC. Seriously, what doesn’t Joe have.
We also believe we found some underlying issues that could have helped cause this problem. The new repairs should avoid that issue.

9 Likes

Thanks again guys.

One thing I will say - I think the small cnc could benefit from a tram as well. When I did leveling on it with a leveling bit, I noticed that the surface is not completely flat - and has very slightly angled grooves along the surface. I thought it was my bit, so I bought a brand new one and it does the same thing. I’m not sure how big a hassle it is - but I am totally willing to learn how and do it if that would take the load off all the stuff you guys already do.

2 Likes

I think that is a great idea. Also we need to tram probably every quarter. I know @james looked the IQ last night. It might be trammed?

I can verify the swift is ultra-trammed, beautifully:

3 Likes

Thanks for the follow up @doug.squires.

Are you available this week during the evenings to help with the IQ?

1 Like

This is an amazingly fast resolution to this problem. Thank you all SO much!

1 Like

Sure! I can do some parental negotiations and make it work. Can you do tonight or tomorrow night?

I’ll need to get some parts, so Thursday would work better.

The tramming tool should be here tomorrow. :crossed_fingers:

@doug.squires if you have a chance, it would be idle to have some new spoilboard pieces cut for the IQ before we tram it.

I can swing that - I’m already scheduled up there for some stuff tomorrow. Do we have spoilboard stock up at the space? And does it need to be planed to a particular thickness or is it just a cutting job?

Oh - and I’m guessing those pieces also have countersunk bolts holding them down… I can’t remember? If so, do we have a model for the pieces with those laid out?

There is some MDF (some quite thick) behind the machine shop cabinet that is for Asmbly projects that might work well for pieces for the small CNC apoilboard.