Swift 5x10 RED TAGGED (RESOLVED)

If the MDF Ethan is taliimg aboutnis enough, that’d be great. If not, I can get more.

All we need right now is the blanks cut. I’ll show you how I like to cut the mount holes and the dog holes.

1 Like

Sounds good!

Please share your doghole file and ping me if you need help. I’ll be very happy if I can setup the IQ as quick and precisely as I use the Swift.

I have a Fusion360 file that I used to cut the little machine spoilerboard planks. I gave it to @CLeininger at one point, as well.

If you PM me your email, I can send it to you. Discourse simply will not let me upload the file in any way, shape, or form.

The dimensions of the planks and the positions of the mounting holes are correct. However, as people pointed out, I should have cut dog holes once the planks were mounted on the machine rather than on each individual plank. You will need to correct that.

@Iammikecohen Id be happy to have the help tonight. I plan on being there after work, probably 6:30 ish.
I believe @doug.squires will be helping as well.

1 Like

Yeah - I plan on being there

The Iq and the Swift have both been repaired, including re tramming the spindles.

Thank you @doug.squires and @Iammikecohen for the help tonight, and @morrism14 for preparing the spindle and bolts.

6 Likes

Is the spoil board source file on the Google Drive or otherwise accessible?

Andrew sent me the source file he used last time which I could send to you via email…. But from talking to @jamesfreeman I think the current plan is:

• manually cut the slats on the table saw or tracksaw
  • and then James was going to make a couple files that could be run with the slats clamped to the IQ which would drill the bolt and dog holes and then surface

I had said I might make it up there today to cut the slats - but I haven’t made it yet. I could possibly do tomorrow morning early

James can say if I misunderstood anything

Well - I came in the morning to cut these slats and the piece of MDF i was asked to use is much smaller…. But still large enough to cut the slats. I’m going to assume that since nobody said: “i cut the slats” - that it’s just coincidence and I’m going to cut them

Much smaller? The MDF pieces I suggested were approximately half sheets (4’x4’ ish).

Oh…. Hmm…. The one i was looking at was like 6’x4’ - and then today was closer to 4’x4’ - i know it was the same piece because i had put some initial measurement lines on it. I didn’t measure it either time - so maybe I am remembering wrong.

I actually decided to wait and see if anyone raised their hand - because it’s going to take some time and care to get them right and my kids wanted breakfast tacos. But if no one chimes in I will cut in the next day or so.

1 Like

Well - it must have been wishful thinking, because nobody raised their hand. :slight_smile:

@jamesfreeman - There was enough on that one sheet to cut 2 sets of IQ slats, so I did that figuring that since I was in the flow it would be easy to just keep going and save pain later. I gave them to David (Steward) and he put them in the empty locked cabinets over by the steward locker area.

1 Like

Sounds great @doug.squires. Are you available this week to help install?

Can probably make it work, let me know when you’re going.

I also plan on going to the Saturday work day, if that works better.

Hey James…. I am going to do the gcode for putting in the bolt holes and dog holes for the iq slats on a new board and run it on the slats i cut earlier this week. Let me know if you already did that - or would prefer to do it yourself.

I will make the gcode resuable where runs off 0,0 at the home and uses the point where the dogs meets as the 0,0 for the cut…. I’ll probably make a wiki page for the this later (not today)

What do you mean by 0,0 for the cut?

I wondered if that made sense…. I guess 0,0 isn’t exclusive to any technique so maybe pointless to have said that…. But basically meant that for the gcode i’d make 0,0 the “bottom left” of the model so someone running the code could use the technique of:

• setting 0,0 after going to “axis home” on start up
  • then progressing to the “known point” where the xy dog holes “meet” on the “bottom left” (currently (31.5, 140) on the IQ)
  • and then setting IQ to 0,0 again with your stock against the dog holes…

Just saves time in getting 0,0 on the machine and your stock lined up by using dog holes

Not sure that provides clarity? Might be better to just provide the model and let people use whatever technique they want rather than providing gcode

Could you provide a DXF of the sketch? I don’t know how to use the model effectively.

Could you talk more about how you plan to cut the bolt holes and dog holes? If I were doing this I would cut the bolt holes and bolt the slats down before cutting the dog holes.

Hm - it looks like I can’t export DXF from my hobby license of fusion. :frowning: Do you use fusion? It will let me export a fusion archive .f3d:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uNw1TqI3N35Ajoo9o44ivfPwopv8oc60/view?usp=sharing

Here are the options:
image.png

I was still still internally debating how I’d cut the 2 different sets of holes… your method would certainly leave less room for error. I know the 20mm dog holes on there now were cut on the IQ, so theoretically - cutting them on the same machine using guides that were also cut on the same machine should be pretty true… but there isn’t much reason to leave any room for any error, I suppose. I will take this model and use it for the bolt holes, then create a 2nd one that is the whole surface of 4 slats and cut the dog holes with that. probably best. Hopefully I can wiki the whole thing when i’m done, provide the model and it’ll be less gymnastics for someone next time.

(And since someone already asked me: for anyone reviewing the model - I know the holes are at exactly 20mm and will probably need clearance. was going to cut one at 20 first and adjust as needed in real time. they’re all parameterized - so after setting that one, should adjust the rest automatically)