Stowable table/workstation for track saw

I had an idea for proposal after taking the tracksaw class and reading through discussions in the thread on new shop tables over here.

I had seen this cutting grid style portable table for sheet goods on Izzy Swan’s channel, it also has these integrated arms that help load full sheets onto the table/grid:

Youtube video is here, see around 8:15 for the arms demo:

Izzy also sells plans on his site here which could be a good starting point:

The main value of this proposal is:

1. Makes it easier for everyone(all shapes and sizes) to work with sheet goods and the tracksaw
  2. Give a purpose built table for the tool that doesn’t take up space in the shop when not being used
  3. Could make one of our recent tooling investments more productive and easier to use

Materials needed:

1. A few sheets of plywood/MDF and some hardware(hinges, screws)
  2. Plans from Izzy Swain $12.99
  3. A bit of design and protoyping time
  4. Some CNC time
  5. Time to build (I think it could easily be built during the volunteer day, if it was all cut out)

I have an addition to the idea where the portable table could have some removable/folding panels with doghole/MFT style holes in them, similar to the Bora Centipede table:

Depending on how the panels/holes were designed, you could use them to set up the track hinge for a crosscut workstation.

While we could spin this around and just get a Bora Centipede table(foldable/portable) they don’t have the arms to help with loading sheet goods. So while a custom project, I believe this could be a fun and useful addition to the shop.

P.S.: Izzy Swan probably referenced Workshop Companion’s cutting grid table with loading arms, but added the portable/stowable part:

*Note: I’m busy at the moment with work, but could also work with others to help get this going if there was interest. Just wanted to document the idea and put it out there.

2 Likes

these are some really cool tables. I have the small Centipede, and want to build a dog hole top as well as Match Fit grooves.

The MFT tables we already have were built with the track saw in mind. At least for smaller cuts. We have the BenchDog hinge, but it’s a bit challenging to set up, at least for only one or two cuts. We’re going to try to make a removable top for the MFT tables. Permanently install the hinge on that, then store that top. When needed, attach it to the top of any MFT table. Far less setup. Larger cuts will still be a full sheet of insulation on top of one of the 4x8.

We also have a Grizzly tilting panel cart on the way. That will help moving plywood around the shop.

6 Likes

Cool, it’s hard to beat a piece of foam for simplicity. That cart will definitely help, and I like the idea of the permanent hinge setup. I feel like most full sheets I see in the shop are over on the CNC. I was looking at one of those Bora tables, but I haven’t really needed since joining ASMBLY :hammer_and_pick::heart::+1:t2:

1 Like