New Wood Shop Work Tables

I’ve discussed the idea of rebuilding the woodshop tables with several members in the past with generally favorable responses. So I wanted to take it to the community and solicit feedback on potential feature requests and gauge appetite for new work tables.

I drew up these work tables with a few features in mind:

1. Smaller tables, so as to allow reaching over to the other side of the table a possibility.
  2. Smaller size so we can fit 2 more tables, with a reasonable gap between the tables (two people can fit between them, and still work comfortably. That makes for 8 large tables in total with no cost to floor space.
  3. Leveling casters in the event that they need to be re-arranged
  4. Made with steel tubing for rigidity, as well as a reduced edge profile to allow for clamping parts to a table. Steel tubing will also be much more stable and it will much less likely to sag.
  5. Shelves/Cupboards can be built underneath if this is a desirable feature. I was thinking smaller glue-ups could be stored under the table, rather than on top.

4 Likes

I like the idea overall, but I wouldn’t get rid of all the 4x8 tables. Some projects do need that space. I think we should have a mixture of sizes, though these new ones might be the majority. And I’m a big proponent of keeping space under the tables free of regular items, keeping that area free for glue ups or for people to put some of their tools underneath while they work, to leave more table space free. One shelf on the base of the frame would be fine, but no drawers or cupboards. Just my thoughts.

At some point, we’ll need a new table or two in the metal shop too.

3 Likes

Agreed, I definitely think at least one big table should stay, as well as the glue up table. That one often has multiple projects needing space on it.

1 Like

@mgmoore @HannaKessler Do you think one 4x8 table would be enough for those rare giant work-piece cases?

I think having a couple of smaller roller desks would help alleviate the table congestion by providing the CNC folks somewhere to put their materials + computer. That was part of my drive to have more than 6.

It’s not uncommon to have something(s) drying, Someone on the 5x8 CNC, someone on the Tormach, and someone from the Machine shop occupying table space. That really leaves maybe 60% table space for the “Wood Shop” of which there are 6 bookable slots. The MFT’s help in this case, but for some reason they’re often used as a monolith, not individually. They could get used more throughout the shop, but the walkways aren’t really wide enough to support that kind of use case. (Smaller woodshop tables would support the floating MFT use case better).

2 Likes

I’m a bit surprised the MFTs don’t see more use also, though I think it’s partially because they’re too specialized. Dog holes are nice when you need them and really annoying when you don’t. I tend to avoid them because the lower shelf space is always cluttered, partially with junk but also with accessories for the table. I would use them a lot more often if they had four open sides and a flat top. I’d bet two like that could serve the big CNC and the Tormach often (mere desks wouldn’t be sufficient though). I was thinking of eventually replacing the old bench behind the Tormach with two like that as well.

Charlie will be the final arbiter of what tables are kept, but I suspect we would want two big ones. And maybe we should replace the big tables one at a time and see how that works out after each update?

I like the plan overall, and do think we need extra table space (not necessarily more square footage, but more surfaces). Wood CNC needs it’s own table. Metal CNC needs a table also. More smaller tables may help to accomodate that. However, with the track saw, the general plan is to be able to break full sheets down. It’s easier to have a 4x8 table to break a 4x8 sheet down. The MFT tables are very useful, even as a cart or as a work surface. The dog holes do give them more of a “tool” look, and they are. But they can certainly do double duty as a work surface.

Glue up surface should stay at 4/8. Hanna is correct that several projects can be kept on the glue up table. With all of that said, maybe 2 4x8 tables. One for glue ups, and one for sheet goods. Probably the current glue up table and the current CNC table. Sheet goods are often loaded onto CNC, so that table is helpful with that. I did say a separate CNC table, and I still think that that is in order, until full sheet management is required. The other tables? I’m open to a plan as suggested. @jiggliemon, please submit a proposal so that the board can evaluate it for design and layout (of all proposed tables), and we can go from there. Many of us would be happy to offer our input on possible layout. As a reference to everyone, the current outfeed table between the table saws is one of Chase’s metal frame / melamine tables. They are a few months old at this point, but are definitely an upgrade from the previous table (which had water damage).

3 Likes

Only if you aren’t using screws, small pieces, small tools, etc. Then all those holes make them practically a porous surface. But the obvious work around is sitting on the other tables: throw a melamine sheet on top. We have a piece about the right size in the metal shop I think.

One of the MFT tables has a router lift, and one has the holes in the right location for that special track saw add-on, so why don’t we throw a covering surface like that on the third and move it down by the CNC and Tormach and see if people start using it?

It should also be fairly easy to design these so that two or more of them could be clamped together for a larger surface when needed. I actually have a 10 foot top in my home shop that I haul out and put up on a couple of saw horses for bigger projects fairly often, so having tops made to fit over the smaller tables is also an option that could make them more flexible.

2 Likes

Adding my 2 cents here as a newer member and novice woodworker… It would be amazing if one or two of the new smaller tables could also be a smidge closer to the ground for those of us who are vertically challenged. I’ve been considering bringing in a step stool for when I need to use the track saw, but I never do because it’s just one more thing to tote around.

On that note, I’d like to thank whoever the genius was that created that platform that’s over by the miter saw. It’s still not quite as tall as I need it to be, but I depend on that thing in many situations. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I believe the new Metal Shop Safety instructor, @Caroline, just created a similar platform for the metal chop saw as well.

2 Likes

That genius was @stepho :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m not sure if we have a decent step stool by the ladders near the workshop bathroom, but regardless I imagine we could stand to have more of them around the space. If you have a recommendation (Amazon preferred), we can order some.

I’m glad you’ve gotten use out of the platform! I made it a while ago, and it was an absolute shot in the dark as to how tall to make it.

1 Like

One more pile-on thought about a table near the big cnc…. First, that would be awesome. 2nd, it seems to me that most of the people who are using the cnc are also on their computer tweaking design and cam a lot…. A table design that also functions like a desk seems better than a work table that isn’t amenable to having a chair pulled up under it (no cross bars at the bottom to impede a chair, if that makes sense).

2 Likes

This small step stool was in the back room and is now out for general use.

2 Likes

First off - I really like the idea of more tables so more people can be in the shop at the same time. I often end up sharing a large table with another maker when I’m working on smaller projects and don’t need the full footprint.

My caveat is to consider the multiple times that large tables are really useful to have in the shop. I’m thinking certain classes, maker market (I used every square inch of the table and even went vertical to increase space), big project assembly, etc. I’m sure we can come up with a great solution for linking tables together to overcome all of these but wanted to make sure they were considered. Looking ahead to maker market I had already planned on attaching some pegboard to the wooden legs temporarily to increase vertical display space for my booth.

Also a +1 to Doug’s comment above - whenever I am on the big CNC I have supplies, tool boxes, etc on one of the table ends of the glue up tables. A dedicated smaller table to hold things while on the CNC would free up that space.

1 Like

Regarding the big CNC, I threw some melamine on one of the MFT tables and put it down there as an experiment. I’ve used it and I’ve seen a few others use it, and it seems to roughly fit the bill. Try it and let us know what you think, as that will guide our future solution for that. That table might also be useful for someone on the Tormach.

2 Likes