Sandblaster help?

The foot pedal on the abrasive blaster doesn’t seem to be working. Am i doing something wrong?

Also just want to confirm is wood allowed to be sandblasted or only metal things. Ive only used it once in class so maybe I’m missing something.

Forgive the basic questions, but is the power cord plugged in, cyclone turned on, and the compressed air line attached? If all are true, then there might be a bigger issue.

Yeah power is on and cyclone separator is on. I’m not sure about the compressed air line but there didn’t seem to be any loose hoses. That might be it? I don’t think i was shown how to attach the air.

Gotcha, yeah on the right side of the cabinet near the bottom on the outside, there’s a port to attach a compressed air line. I forget at the moment what is sitting right next to the sandblaster, but you can just take the line from that temporarily (I do remember that particular port doesn’t seal so it will be loud when you take it off until you attach it to the sandblaster). If there’s an overhead line nearby you can also use one of those.

3 Likes

Okay thanks! I’ll try tomorrow, I left already cuz I was too tired to figure it out.

1 Like

For anyone who finds this in the future- also make sure the air compressor is plugged in and turned on!

Whats the proper method to decompress the system after use? I ended up unplugging the air compressor and just re going over my piece then using air to blow off the sand and that seemed to get most of the pressure out of the system. Pilling off the air valve from full pressure is really loud and i didn’t have earplugs :confused:

Thanks again Matthew!

The quick disconnect on that hose is messed up, if it worked properly the air wouldn’t come out when you disconnect it. The compressor should be on. We will get a new reel but for now just leave it connected to the sandblaster.

1 Like

@njinuity if the abrasive seems less effective. The ceramic nozzle in the gun is a consumable. When the nozzle diameter gets too large the abrasive loses velocity. There is a box of new nozzles in or near the abrasive cabinet

1 Like

It was working fine today. The nozzles are inside although probably should be outside- I noticed two had fallen down the grate and are sitting at the bottom of the chamber. I’ll probably try to retrieve them tmr since I’ll be using it again.

Ok thanks for retreiving it. I will make a metal box to sit on top of the cabinet to hold the nozzles.

Ive retrieved the nozzles from the bottom. Should probably be two people really quick next time if anything falls but managed to get it.

Placed below the sandblaster on the bottom left along with the two metal things that were in there as well, not sure what theyre for or if someone forgot them.

I left them there. They are spare nozzles.

The metal cubes are nozzles? Thought it was just the pink things. Theres two metal cube things that I placed behind the box of nozzles

Got it. I have no idea

I looked the metal this morning. I put it in the scrap bucket. They look like test pieces. I went ahead and designed a little box, cut, and bent it.

Sanding hides the sins

Magnets for the win

2 Likes

Fantastic!

Nice!

Semirelated question but I’m often using 1 odd tool in the machine shop (belt sander or the polisher wheel) / sandblaster and am wondering what I should be booking on Skedda? I don’t want to block someone from welding/machining while Im sanding odd things away. For now I just pick either machine shop or welding whichever one is open. Its not really an issue because I dont think a ton of people are competing for spots but just wondering to be courteous.

1 Like

Is this at a time when you are otherwise using a different shop? Or is it that you are only using that one tool in the machine shop?

The machine shop is going to be expanded in the near term, so some of this will get resolved with that change

It varies. Usually I go right after lasers but sometimes I’ll drive up to sand like an aluminum rod or something, and yes I don’t use any thing else so it feels kind of weird to me that I’m booking the whole machine shop lol. But maybe its fine since usually theres no conflict of time. I try to put “sanding only” in my booking title.

I think that it’s awesome that you are so thoughtful on this topic. My (personal) understanding here is that because the machine shop is so tiny, booking the whole of it is just what is needed for now. It just is a 1 person space right now.

Once the metals area is expanded, it will allow for more people to work there simultaneously, and that is one of the biggest motivators for the change (again, as I believe to understand it)

3 Likes