Sandblaster help?

The sandblaster really is off on its own; it used to be in conflict with the autobay, not with any metal work.

But, if I understand correctly, we want people to use Skedda not just to avoid conflicts but to keep track of who is present and what is being used. So I think you have the right approach: sign in for the metal shop with a note “sandblaster only” that would let others know that the welding area could still possibly be used. Generally the metal/machine shop users are good at sharing the space when it is safe.

For example, it’s not uncommon for both the Tormach and either the manual mill or lathe to be in use simultaneously. Eric and I did this the other day, and I noticed when I was signed up in the machine shop, Eric had signed up for Woodshop slot 6 with the note “Tormach”. I think the key is everyone needs to be signed in somewhere.

(Side note: Eric and I were talking then that the Tormach and Mill/Lathe should probably already be separate schedule slots.)
@admins

Definitely thirded on separating the tormach and the manual mill/lathe. There isn’t really any reason they can’t both be used safely simultaneously. I feel bad when I need to book a long session on one. I usually make a note of what I’m using, but even still it probably deters some people from coming in to use the unused equipment. It probably made sense during the height of Covid since it’s still a smaller space, but not as much now.

1 Like

Does the sandblaster require taking one of the metalworking/machining/welding courses to use? The wiki says

Use of this tool is covered in all metalworking (machining or welding) classes.

But it is missing the big red banner tools that require the class/certification have at the top of the page, so I do not know if the note about the classes simply means the class will teach you how to use it, or if it implies needing to take the class.

Pretty much everything in the space requires a class to use its area. Its covered in intro to machining, havent taken welding yet.

It is covered in intro to machining but I am fine with you using it without the class. There are some instructions on it, but basically plug it in and go to town

2 Likes

With this information, I came by the makerspace today and tried to use the sandblaster, following the instructions printed on the front of the hood. I got everything hooked up and turned on, and air was definitely coming out of the nozzle when I pressed the foot pedal, but I didn’t see or feel any abrasives coming out of it, and nothing was happening to the part I was blasting.

I turned everything off in the sandblaster and let it wind down, and checked the vortex separator, I’m not sure if abrasive is stored in here or if it is empty?

I’ll be taking the machining/milling class in a couple weeks although there is some stuff I do want to sandblast in the meantime.

I did report the possible issue via the red QR code on the machine if I was operating it properly and the machine is malfunctioning now

The hopper has material in it under the filter screen Maybe it is time to add a bit more. I will order some more.

update: Abrasive media has been ordered

1 Like

When do you think the sandblaster will either be refilled for use, or verified for operation?

I realized I wasn’t 100% sure I was using it correctly. I mentioned the steps I did in my post above regarding how I set it up.

Once it is set up, when I step on the foot pedal, should I expect ONLY air, or air + abrasive powder, to come out? I was expecting abrasive powder to come out from the start- was there anything else I had to do?

• Plugged in the compressed air hose (which powered on automatically)
  • Plugged in power cable to a nearby hanging outlet, turned on, saw the light come on and another part of the machine (or the vortex separator?) turn on
  • stepped on the foot pedal and saw only air come out, no media. Not sure if there was anything I should’ve screwed/toggled/pressed other than that foot pedal?

Sometimes the media just gets jammed in the hosing. If you shake around the hose that comes out of the hopper, it might clear it up.

1 Like

I’ll try that out next time I’m there