Photography SIG: Request for comments

I’ll be joining! I have been working to improve my photography skills. For now, I shoot things for my business (product photography, particularly tiny items) but I also want to shoot more subject matters.

2 Likes

Love the crowned bluebonnet!

1 Like

I don’t know if I can make the first one, but count me in. I have been mulling over a proposal for a small studio space at ASMBLY, but we really don’t have room right now. But I’m happy to help where and when I can.

Happy to have you on board.

If there’s a will there’s a way. But if I’m reading between the lines I’m interpreting that we don’t want to have space dedicated to something that people aren’t using. We ought to figure out how much such a capability would be used and scope out a station accordingly.

Are you primarily interested in something like a tabletop product photo booth?

What other types of genres or subjects are you looking to expand into?

It’s time to get back on the wagon.

I love this idea. I’m a big film photography enthusiast and recently purchased a large format Toyo camera.

1 Like

I hope you can bring it in one day. Large format has always been elusive to me due to its many constraints. However, way back when at my most impractical I was trying to buy an Alpa (with Digital back). I always wanted to play with shifting lens elements. At least ever since I got really into Julius Schulman.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkRDtbfs1Zr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Large format is the king. Makes you very critical on composition and exposure because you have a very small amount of negatives and it takes a while to get it perfect.

Great for control freaks, ocd enthusiasts and knob tweakers.

Plus you can make everything but the lens yourself!

I want to take my camera outdoors- into the city, on hikes, on vacations, etc. I also think it would be neat to try some portraits (people & pets). Just excited to try everything I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was there any final decision on whether there is a meeting for this group today or when it might be?

@PatrickAidan its at 7:00pm this evening. And every first Tuesday of the month afterwards.

1 Like

This post shows you how to get to the general Asmbly events calendar, which includes all of the Special Interest Group meetings

1 Like

Looking forward to meeting with you all tonight. I bring about 50 years of amateur photography experience, mostly 35mm, film, and digital. Everything from fine art to product photography.
Interested in seeing what the focus of this group might be.

3 Likes

Glad I found this … I’ve got to get a few product pictures of projects I’ve completed and hoping that I can find someone in the group to help me with that. Small budget $ or barter . Please let me know if anyone has time/interest and send a message and can provide additional info . Thanks jeffmcadams@gmail.com

I’m going to be photographing our benches soon. So I’ll make sure to post the day and time here. You can bring your projects in for photos.

2 Likes

Are the monthly meetings no longer occurring?

@oselotl I’m going to start a photography group/meetup outside of Asmbly later on in the year.

Asmbly doesn’t have the photography facilities required to make something like this successful. And I was/am unwilling to try and fix that at this time.

I’d be happy to discuss the idea with you further if it’s something you’re really interested in.

1 Like

Unfortunately, there are a lot of specialties that just don’t fit yet. We are looking at adding square footage next year, so it’s really helpful to get info compiled on what sort of space, equipment, conditions, etc would be needed for various things we’d like to see. I made a new Discourse category Dream Shop where people can post and discuss. I would imagine our next space having a photography area.

2 Likes

I’d love to be involved in whichever photography events come about! Definitely keep me posted please c:

1 Like