No more Miller TIG welder (REPLACED WITH NEW ONE!)

Alamo welding does a deposit lease program. Leave a deposit for the bottle, and just pay for the refills as needed. When you return the bottle, deposit is returned.

Sounds like a good deal. I guess it depends on the amount of the deposit. The ROI could be 6 to 10 years versus Lease and cylinder size (we probably won’t be turning the cylinders back in) I’ve thought about doing one in my own name just to get us going. The rental rate is 27 cents Per day or $67 a year Plus the cost of the Fill. Either way we should make a decision soon. I don’t think any of them are open on the weekend. I will be out of town the first four days of the week. I’m open to any solution.

Joe said The owner took his bottle. We only had one argon bottle. What size do we want?

@JoeN has already reached out to a company he’s worked with a lot on a monthly gas exchange where they deliver to us monthly. Something along those lines has been on our list for a while now to ensure we’ve got gas on hand and not stuck at the mercy of people having to go do exchanges themselves. He requested at least 2 125g bottles. Let’s see what we hear back on that in terms of the long term solution here.

Great! Thanks as usual to Joe. We are lucky to have him

The new welder is mostly setup. The mig bottle will be in tomorrow. The tig bottle will hopefully be handled this week. We need someone to fabricate hangers similar to the Everlast welding cart. I will cut a piece of steel so we can hang 2 bottles off of the back. Someone can weld that. I will take back the single bottle restraint.

1 Like

Any chance the Argon is in? Would be glad to help out with any welding if someone gives me a drawing/picture of what is needed. Might be able to get to it on Monday.

Sorry it is not. There is a scarcity of tig bottles.

Our board members are on top of it and let me know that we have (2) 125cf argon bottles coming in the mail. The delivery person will not be happy.

Does anyone know if the argon tanks have arrived yet? And are they going to arrive empty in need of a fill. I’ve got a few days off and could help out.

They have arrived. I’m modding the tig cart today to accept the new bottle and move the rear wheels further back. The new welder is a lot lighter and is tippy

Great. Let me know if I can help. Are they full of argon?

I think they are partially filled. I came to weld the plate for the both tanks, and wheels. I lost motivation to do it.

If you want to sketch out your idea, and if materials are available, I’d be willing to try to do it. I’m still fairly new at TIG and I’m not that great yet. But come to think of it, You taught me. So if it looks like poop I can just blame you :grinning:

1 Like

I was at the space doing something else. I got done a lot sooner so I modded the tig welding cart. It is mostly done. If you @Fmartin could make handles like the regular mig welding cart. That would be awesome.

The black bottle is for tig welding. The orange bottle is for mig welding. I have set the flow rates.
I will be by to finish the bottle holder this weekend. You can start using the tig or mig as long as you have been trained or have a sign off.

1 Like

Could someone laser cut a nameplate that says “Tig” and “Mig” to hang on each bottle to lessen confusion. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Will do @JoeN. I’ll stop by metals4u and pick up some square stock. I’m guessing it’s about 1/2 inch?

1 Like

yes sir

I did make the holders. I did use 1/2 in.² tubing. It looks like the previous one was three-quarter inch. I think half inch is plenty strong to hold what it needs to.
I did not weld them to the cart like the other one. I wasn’t sure if you were finished modifying the cart yet.
Also I thought about mounting one of them perpendicular to the other. The one on the Mig Side I would turn 90° from the other one so that the cables could be mounted parallel to the side of the Miller 220. This would not work on the other side as it has an access door that needs to open. I would think mounting it the same way as the other mig welder would work. This would also discourage wrapping both sets of cables over both forks.
I spent a lot of time running around getting supplies before I started and ran out of time and energy. I can mount them tomorrow if this plan sounds OK to you.

thank you. I am not messing with the front of the cart. Go ahead and weld it. Be aware that the door for the mig wire opens on one side.