No more Miller TIG welder (REPLACED WITH NEW ONE!)

The person who was generously hosting the Miller Tig welder decided to take it back so we will not have a TIG welder at the space until we purchase a replacement.

Will post here when a replacement is acquired.

Any thoughts on what we might look for? Another Everlast? I’d love to have a newer inverter rig with a little more chooch for thicker aluminum. Would be willing to kick in for it as well.

1 Like

We are open to suggestions; we were thinking of getting a multipurpose machine like the Millermatic 220

I have been setting up my multipurpose machine and it is more complicated for a new user. I will look at reviews of other ones for ease of use

Don’t know if this is the spot to contribute info (read: opinions) or not, but I’ve used both the old miller multimatic 200, the new 220, and the ESAB rebel and can heartily recommend the ESAB machine as the heartiest of the bunch. It’s what we purchased when we were setting up our home steel shop.

If you want me to bring it by to test it out and run a few beads, I’m more than happy to do so.

1 Like

Interesting. Our notion is that it’d be nice to have two matching AC/DC multi-process welders so we can have two stations for MIG or TIG classes. The shortlist for that option I think consists of the 220 and the ESAB Rebel 205. They’re basically the same price.

The multimatic might be fine as a stationary machine. It was our on-site welder and toting it to and from work sites saw it not hold up nearly as well as I would’ve hoped for a machine at that price point. (Plastic clips broken, greater than expected wear on leads and lines, etc). I imagine some of that wear might be mitigated by it remaining in one place.

I was thinking something like an Everlast MTS 275. Basically the same idea as the multi process Miller and ESAB machines mentioned, so we’re all on the same track here.

@west check this forum out.

Anybody else have AC/DC multiprocess welder feedback? I’m leaning toward the Miller for the following reasons; please let me know if you think any of these are wrong or we’re missing something, especially if you’ve used both:

• Everlast quality seems to be hit-or-miss, and tech support is reportedly problematic. I’ve not read much about this machine in particular, but I don’t want to mess with finicky equipment if we can help it.
  • Miller has a slight usability edge over ESAB. All the shootout reviews I’ve found have said the Miller’s easier to setup and more beginner-friendly. Also, I don’t like ESAB’s polarity plug.
  • Miller has a small duty cycle advantage over the ESAB. It’s not a significant difference, but any data on the robustness of the electronics is welcome.
  • Miller comes with two regulator assemblies, so it’s ready to go for MIG+TIG without bottle swaps right out of the box.
  • Miller has a slight parts availability edge over ESAB. We’re a bit more likely to find bits and bobs locally in a pinch. (meh?)
  • Our machine is going to live on its cart, so the durability advantages of the ESAB aren’t that important.
  • The ESAB has a wider range of TIG configuration options. Since we’re thinking primarily about use by beginners / for classes, I don’t think that’s super-valuable. We might want to look into a bigger TIG welder in the future (3-year plan) depending on utilization.
2 Likes

James tagged me here because I probably can “buy” a TIG welder and, because I don’t actually have space for one personally, would be happy to host it at ASMBLY (knowing and understanding that it would get wear and tear by being available for community use) probably for a good, long time.

The only caveats are is I prefer not to buy Chinese stuff (stuff from Taiwan, Korea, Japan or whereever else is a-ok). I think this would exclude Everlast based on the basic research I did last night, but not Miller (largely made in the US)? Also, I may have to back out of a verbal commitment I made to Eric to contribute funds for an upgrade to the DRO on the mill as a result of spending the money on a TIG welder.

Looking at MSRPs on the Miller Multimatic 220 mentioned above, that’s about at the top of the range what I’d want to pay (assuming what’s listed on Miller’s website is typical street price). However, it was my understanding there are compromises when getting a “multi” machine, and the shop already has a MIG welder? I know next to nothing about this, so feel free to correct me :slight_smile:

Go ask the guys at the tool rental place guys what they own, personally?

Last I checked, the guys in San Diego at R J Kates who owned TIG welders all personally owned the Miller Dynasty series. One of them taught welding at the local community college.

Make of that what you will. I was saving up for one, but then Covid hit.

Miller also seems to partner with makerspaces, too. That gets you discounts on Miller equipment as a member and may also get us a discount as a space.

Jon has notified me that a welder has been ordered (independent of my offer with it, I think), so it sounds like my offer for helping on the DRO purchase for the mill stands now instead.

1 Like

Hey @west , Just wanted to follow up, I think the best method for getting a working DRO on the mill is to just try to replace the Y-Axis scale and then add a separate scale for the Z-axis.

I reached out to acu-rite to give me a replacement quote for the Y-axis scale.

Something like this for the z-axis (but not exactly)
Mitutoyo - 6" X-Axis Travel, Milling DRO System - 09525247 - MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)

That all sounds good to me as long as everyone else is on board. Let me know how things are as they progress and how to get payment to you / ASMBLY once it’s needed. Thanks.

What TIG machine was purchased for the shop? Also, If anyone could let me know the torch part number we will have I’d really appreciate it. I’d like to buy my own cups, collects and backcaps for what ever torch our shared space will be using now.

It’s the MultiMatic 220. It’ll be primarily for TIG, but we’ll set it up for both processes when we get another MIG bottle. The in-box TIG torch is a Weldcraft A-150

It’s still in transit. It should arrive today-ish and will be set up this weekend at the latest.

1 Like

I will come in and do some testing for my class!

I had bought a consumable kit for the old welder. I believe it was from a link that Joe had sent me. It was this one
AWLOLWA 63PCS TIG Welding Torch Accessories Kit Collets Body Glass Cup Alumina Nozzle Stubby Gas Lens #10 Pyrex Cup Kit for TIG WP-17/18/26 (63-PCS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D8R17SL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_MZ3E75ZY2R1KYDAJD0F4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone know if this will be compatible with the new tig torch. I have seen that it is compatible with some of the other Miller TIG welders

The A-150 is formerly known as 17 series. 100% compatible

3 Likes