Laser Cutting Very Thin Steel

Hello Laser People!

I have yet to take the laser class but wanted to ask one question before I started with lasers - I need some extremely thin (5 thou thick) steel sheets cut and was wondering if any the asmbly lasers would be up to the job.

I have a bit of previous experience with lasers and so I know that most lasers are not able to cut metal at all, but I was hoping I could fudge the rules with material this thin.

Would anyone who knows lasers well be able to tell me if this is possible with asmbly lasers or if there are other considerations involved with this project?

For ref this is what I would be cutting McMaster-Carr

Thanks a ton!

I can cut it. It is on fiber laser. Let me know if you are interested?

1 Like

Very! I have to do some design work but I will sign up for the next laser cutting class to get the skills to do it myself- Ill probably be cutting this a few times as I play with what works for my design.

Once you are ready. You can email your file to jioe@secretsaucemanufacturing.com

To be clear: this is not possible at Asmbly. Joe is offering to cut on a fiber laser elsewhere.

ah gotcha I didnt understand that.

If you dont mind me asking whats the main limiting factor on doing it at asmbly? Is it just power of the lasers? Or is there something like reflectivity that makes it impossible to cut the metal no matter the thickness? The stock im trying to cut is basically tinfoil thin

We have CO2 lasers. The co2’s characteristic 10.6um wavelength is the best by far for cutting wood, plywood, acrylic, fabric, cardboard, paper, glass, many other high demand things. That only happens around 10um area, and there is no other practical device for generating the 10um range than a CO2 laser

However, 10.6um is mostly reflected by metals, meaning it won’t readily cut them, and the reflected energy could in theory damage the machine. No 10.6um can pass through the

Fiber laser is 1.6um wavelength. Converse case, it is strongly absorbed by metal and cuts, but it is not effective for cutting wood, acrylic, cardboard, glass, due to poor absorption. Fiber is basically only good for metal, nothing else

Actually, you do say about 0.005in steel… Aluminum or copper won’t cut even in foil thicknesses. But, steel does have some absorption, very thin steel actually can be cut with CO2.

1 Like