I just built an OpenScan 3D Scanner for Minatures

I just completed building a Mini OpenScan 3D Scanner. See the sample picture of one below and https://en.openscan.eu/openscan-mini for more information. It can scan small pieces, such as, miniature figurines and small mechanical parts. It does this by spinning the object (longitude), angling the camera (latitude), and taking N photos of an object. Then using photogrammetry and a cloud service it stitches the photos into a 3D mesh file that can be printed on one of our 3D printers. It contains a Raspberry Pi and you access and control it via a website hosted on the Pi. This is similar to OctoPrint for our 3D Printers.

Currently I am using it at home, but I’d be quite willing to bring it in to ASMBLY and show you how it works if you are interested. Message me here and we’ll set up a time for a show-and-tell.

9 Likes

This is a really neat project. Thanks for posting!

3 Likes

How about scheduling a demo one Saturday morning?
I’m sure many would like to see it in action and ask quesions.
I built an old version and would love to know how it’s improved.

5 Likes

I’d love to see it!

Very cool. I am just spitballing here, but is it feasible to scale up the build for a slightly larger format?

Peace, Wolf

1 Like

@LoboFPV, I built the mini, but there is an Openscan Classic with a scan volume of 18x18x18cm. Does that work for you?

2 Likes

Is there a 3D Printer SIG? If so I could join it and show off my OpenScan Mini.

1 Like

Yes, that would be perfect. Thank you.

How do we get notifications for the 3D Printer SIG? I’d love to join!

@oselotl, I’ve not heard that a 3D Printer SIG has been organized and at this time I can’t commit to be the organizer. Nevertheless, I’d be interested in attending if one does get started,

@LoboFPV, @tomthm, @lukeg, and @oselotl, Hi All! You replied to this posting and today I brought the OpenScan Mini 3D Scanner to ASMBLY and got it attached to the network successfully. This was the only thing stopping me from giving a demo. So now you get to tell me which October Saturday morning at 9 AM would you be interested in meeting at ASMBLY in the MPR and letting me demo the scanner. I was told by Valerie that 10/21 is already taken. Your have three choices: Oct 7, 14, or 28. Which one would you prefer? Please tell me your preference by this Wednesday. Thanks.

4 Likes

Brian

Thank you for the invite, I would like to observe the process for sure. Unfortunately every weekend this month is booked solid.
Y’all have fun.

Peace, Wolf

Brian showed this thing off during the CNC SIG yesterday and it was super cool

I’m available on the 14th or 28th! Thank you for offering to demo this again.

28th is best for me. Out of town on other two

Thanks for the responses, so I’ll see if I can book the MPR for October 28th at 9 AM and get back to you with a confirmation.

It’ll just be the three of us unless there are others that show up. I don’t know how to announce something like this to the membership except on this discourse post.

I’ll bring the scanner and my computer along with a test miniature. My plan is to go through my process of preparation, scanning, mesh generation, and 3D printer slicing and show pictures of what I’m doing with it. I hope that it’ll give you an appreciation of what this little scanner is possible of doing.

If you have a small miniature, say 15-35 mm, then tell me or send me a picture, bring it with you to the meeting, and we could give it a try scanning it too. However, be aware that I’ll need to spray it with chalk dust beforehand.

3 Likes

Thanks for doing this @bwatt! We’ll handle promotion for it, so definitely expect more than 3 folks to show up. We can also supply some coffee and pastries. If you have anything to show on a computer you can also hook up to the TV on the cart in there.

Looking forward to this!

2 Likes

Thanks Valerie! Please let me know if there’s anything I can help with.

2 Likes

@valerie, I’ve sent a request email to membership@asmbly.org as you suggested.

2 Likes

It’s Demo time! We are on for October 28th at 9-11 AM. Write it on your calendar. I hope to see you there. I’ll show you the scanner, how I use it and sample outputs.

1 Like