CNC Modification for end of long stock?

Could you shoot a link? I don’t know what this plate looks like yet

Sacrificial fixture plate or mini pallet - 4" x 10" - taig, sherline, mini mill | eBay

I was planning counter sinking the upper set of holes so it can be used with t-nuts. The left side of the plate would have a piece of vertical aluminum piece installed for an index point. The holes are 1/4-20 for clamping

Worst case if the fixture plate is not long enough. We can get a 2nd plate.

I have started machining the index for the fixture plate. There is also a set of 4 toggle clamps on the way. I will hand off the project when I’m done with the index machining.

Finished fixture plate

Toggle clamps

I have a 2nd set of clamps for the right side. I have some machining to do for that. I think we can add this during the next work day in August.

Unfinished toggle clamp mounts

3 Likes

@JoeN, This sounds very interesting. Great work! Thanks especially for the pictures. I have a 2’x2’x3/4" piece that I’m interested in CNC drilling the edges and I haven’t been in the workshop yet to see what’s there. So I was wondering what is the current status of this modification? @bwatt

I got busy with high school robotics and it fell off of my plate. I have gotten some students to work on it recently. I just got some stock to make the last and most complicated part. It will be at least another week before it is done and then the process of installing it.

1 Like

Fantastic! If I can be of help please contact me.

@JoeN, I’ve now got a CAD design of what I’m trying to edge-drill (see below). It’s not very complex. Just five holes of two different diameters on each side. If I have to I can build a jig, but I was hoping that the “CNC Modification for end of long stock” could be used. I’m very willing to help in any way I can. Bri

If I remember right, the spindle is able to go slightly past the end of the 8’ spoil board, by a few inches. I think you could clamp it at the end of the spoil board, and be able to cut it without any changes to the machine, but I may be mis-remembering. You may have to remove some panels that are used to prevent dust from falling underneath the table.

@dannym, Is what @zackg says possible? I don’t want to do anything with the big CNC that might be inappropriate. @bwatt

I think Zach is correct. I haven’t used the router at the space in a while. You can go test it.

The bed was designed to make the entire gantry travel space available, so no, there isn’t any unused space to use that way.

Thanks for clarifying. I’m back in Austin and am working to finish a few projects. One of them is the clamps system

I think I have been over thinking the clamp design. I will bring by what I have and use 1/4-20 clamps pictured above in Travis’s post.

I was creating this.
Link

I will just use these clamps instead. Link
They are readily available right now. I will get them on order so the project can be up and running. I will mess with stepcraft design later on. We can have it as spares.

1 Like

Clamps are on order. They should arrive Wednesday. I will drop off everything. The cnc stewards and some volunteers will need to move the last rail at the far side of the spoilboard in to accommodate the cutting up to 1.5" of end of the spoilboard. Installation is pretty straight forward. The tricky part is we will have to cut a bit of the spoilboard.

My thoughts on the work flow is to home the machine. Zero x and y axis. The datum position on the jig would be a known offset. Set the offset potentially in vcarve or the machine. Not sure yet. Set the z height and carve away

1 Like

Excited to see this getting worked on. @torchedguitar and I were talking about one of our home projects that would be well served by this mod. We might finally take the CNC class :sweat_smile:

I’m willing to volunteer and help the steward(s). Tell me when and I’ll be there.

1 Like

I’m going to drop off the jig plates to start the process. The clamps aren’t necessary for the install. I will post some pics about how it look and what should probably happen for the install.

I think the last aluminum bar should be moved towards the front. We use the cnc to cut 2.5” section out of the spoilboard. Move the aluminum extrusion back and mount the jig plates. I think we can get another Jig plate for the middle section. I have been thinking about adding some toggle clamps for the middle section for more grip on large boards. Toggle clamps