A Buy Nothing group for ASMBLY makers?

I’m guessing a lot of us have over the years collected various piles of unused materials, components, tech, tools, etc that are just gathering dust. I’m also guessing a lot of us would be interested in putting portions of those piles to good (or at least morally questionable) use. And some of us might be knowledgeable enough about individual items to say “Nah, that’s worse than useless at this point, here’s how to properly dispose of it.” To that end, would it be useful to create an ASMBLY-specific Buy Nothing group on here? (Not sure whether there would be any benefit to associating it with the official Buy Nothing Project.) Perhaps there could be a rule that ASMBLY itself gets first dibs on things that would benefit the space, and otherwise it would just be maker-to-maker gifts.

3 Likes

I’ve learned from participating in my neighborhood BN group that the BN org has a LOT of rules. I think for the sake of administrative burden we’d be better off doing something in the same vein but not BN official. Maker Talk > Up for Grabs perhaps? Or something like that. The biggest thing to note is that NOTHING is permitted to be left at Asmbly unless it is explicitly authorized by a board member or director. We’ve worked hard (and are still working hard) to clean out the cruft and we won’t go back to those cluttered days. People can use Asmbly as an exchange point, but they can’t leave items here for pick up (no Asmbly porch pick ups!).

2 Likes

Sounds good to me, and I have several things I could put up.

1 Like

Ditto. A few of us have already been using this forum for such things.

1 Like

@valerie what are our next steps, just have someone create the category?

1 Like

Yup, thanks for the nudge!

Here’s the new category description page – About the Up For Grabs category