You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch

During yesterday’s CNC SIG @bwatt asked for more project write-ups on Discourse so here we go…

• Watched the Grinch with my kids on Tuesday night (1966 Boris Karlov version, the best version).

• Realized Wednesday that there was an upcoming CNC SIG and I hate coming to them empty handed.

• Thursday I designed and cut the file after finding a free SVG online and making my own modifications. Put a .05 pocket (see attached pic of my Carveco design simulation) to help with locating the final pieces. Made it out a scrap 21"'x49"x1/2" piece of MDF I had laying around in the shop. Pre-primed it with white spray paint before cutting. Used 1/4" (pocketing) and 1/8" (pocket details and profiling) bits for cuts. Used double sided tape and screws to hold it to the wasteboard. Total time to design was under 15 mins and time to cut was about 30 mins.

• Friday - painting, painting and more painting. I forgot how annoying painting mdf is, even after it has been sealed. I am a worse painter than photographer (and that is saying something given how bad I am at that).

After the paint dried I used some TB1 and brad nails to put the sections together using the pockets to locate them properly. Dabs of paint to cover the brad holes and the project was done.

A quick and easy project that hopefully inspired some. I had fun making it and my kids love it.

11 Likes

Nice job on the colors. Punchy! Looks just like an illustration.

Great job… I love the colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cUz-zAATNI This is the best rendition of the song “Your a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” performed by the Small Town Titans. Seriously, it’s brilliant!

Thanks Stephen for the post!

Love the Grinch, a tale of redemption. That is an awesome looking representation.

Bravo Zulu

-p.s. I too, loath painting MDF