Woodworking "proficiency" class(es)?

Hi guys -

Awhile back I heard talk of maybe a few classes aimed at learning the step beyond the intro/safety woodworking classes. Maybe some project-based classes that aim to get some more experience with the tools beyond the safety stuff.

Any chance there are classes like that on the horizon?

Thanks!
Billy

6 Likes

Bill May is about to post a table saw skills class. He is also working on a router table class. These will not necessarily be project focused, but skill focused.

The bandsaw box class that Steve W offers has some in depth bandsaw information.

4 Likes

I’ve been working on a router table class as well….

3 Likes

who’s going to be the first to teach rail-and-stile doors ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks guys!

What do you want to learn?

In general, I don’t feel confident doing much. I took the safety classes but don’t have much woodworking experience at all beyond the few very specific needs I’ve figured out in the past, and it’s intimidating to improve by slow trial and error in a shared space.

So, the opportunity to properly use (and maintain) the table saw (and crosscut sled?), router, jointer/planer, and maybe bandsaw or sanders, would be really enjoyable and educational for me.

I believe it was David(?) who had mentioned several months ago putting together classes along these lines - that’s where I got the “woodworking proficiency” term from.

Billy

3 Likes

Hey Billy @bwaldman — I totally get where you’re coming from. I wish there were more woodworking courses at ASMBLY. I’ve been taking some lessons with the Mentor series with Charles Leininger as well as courses at Austin School of Furniture and Woodcraft over the past year as well, all of which I can recommend. At ASF there is an option for private lessons, I’ve been doing those sometimes on my own, and sometimes with my friend Jonathan who is also new to woodworking. They also tend to be project-focussed which I find to be helpful. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk more!

On a separate note I’m putting in my vote +1 for a router table class!

1 Like

@boomshiddang & @bwaldman I’d be happy to work on specific projects to get people past the basics. I’ve been a remodeling contractor all my life and handyman the past 13 years. If I don’t know a skill or technique, I would defer to others, but if you want to use a tool safely to do a specific thing, if I know how, DM me to schedule a time to come in…

2 Likes

That’s awesome guys - so much appreciated. I will reach out once I have a plan to work on a few thigns to ensure it’s safe and a good way to proceed!
Billy

1 Like

I would love to attend a beginner, small project based class too! Even after the safety class, I don’t feel like I have enough knowledge/confidence to use the tools there :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hey - the woodshop stewards and the education group have heard your requests here, and are working on some ideas for sessions like this.

More to come after the market this weekend!

2 Likes

A table saw class is near completion. A router table class is in the works. The bandsaw box class will teach bandsaw skills. That one is already released.

1 Like

@David and I are working on getting some project based classes up too.

2 Likes