Wooden PC Case Considerations

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but has anybody here ever attempted to make a wooden PC case? I know that it’s possible, as it has been done, but I’m not sure what kinds of considerations and adjustments would be needed in order to have it work effectively. Most PC cases tend to be fairly ugly in my opinion, so it’d be cool to try to make one that is a work of art. Also, AFAIK, due to its density, wood tends to be a lot more effective at sound dampening than thin metal, so I’m thinking it would probably be much more quiet as well.

Check out this guy on yt, he does a lot of wood + tech stuff that it pretty nice

2 Likes

Yaaaaaaasssss! DIY Perks is one of my favs :heart_eyes:

1 Like

There are some things that can get hot enough to be a danger to wood. I would think you would need to watch for hot spots on the equipment and keep them well away from the wood.

1 Like

Definitely good to keep in mind for sure. I do know that PCs generally only go to the 100-150 F range for temps, and in intensive loads, can hit 175, but even overclocked, will start throttling at 200 F. Wood has a much higher ignition temperature (around 450), so that part would be safe. With proper cooling, like any case, it should be fine. Plus, the hottest parts are mounted directly onto the motherboard. I’ll definitely have to figure something out keeping airflow in mind if I decide to do this though and not drastically shorten the life of parts due to overheating.

1 Like

I’ve thought about doing the same, although I don’t think my woodworking skills are up to the task of actually making it a work of art.

As far as special considerations go, the only one I can think of would be that you’d probably want to use threaded inserts to hold the motherboard standoff screws. Same for any other machine screws you end up using, like for fan mounts or drive bays. I’d be afraid of them falling out, otherwise.

1 Like