Wooden focus for Dorian missing

I used Dorian this morning and the wooden focus was there. I used it. Left and came back a few hours later and for the life of me I can’t find the wooden focus. There is the 3D printed one, but didn’t know if someone would want/need to make a new wooden one (that is definitely beyond my skill set)

The wooden one should still be there, but if they’re not out for some reason, there was a third one in the cabinet, like 2nd or 3rd shelf from the top.

The 3D printed one should be both more accurate and more intuitive and I’m primarily recommending this 3D printed tool. It only hugs the nozzle the one correct way. It seems really easy to find the exact focal point where tool profile aligns with the cone.

Also, the air assist won’t push them around. The little hole in back actually helps serve this purpose- it redirects air in a way that, if anything, will push the tool towards the cone.

The wooden tool will still work for now. But it does align on those acrylic rings stuck on the machine’s air assist cone, and I’d like to remove those as soon as people are comfortable using the 3Dp tool. They’re getting scorched by reflections. And might create a potential point of minor confusion as to what to align the tool against.

Thank you, I do prefer the 3d printed one, it is way more accurate. I used that one after the wooden one to double check accuracy. I was just concerned that the other one was missing, didn’t know if someone would need to make another. Call me paranoid but I worried that the 3d printed one could accidently get squished between nozzle and bed.

I did try to add a slope to keep it from pinching. I looked at it and it may need a bit more slope on a reprint.

Tarkin’s cone doesn’t have a distinct edge to pinch on. It’s Dorian’s cone that has a problematic step in it. It goes horizontal then turns vertical, so that horizontal portion could pinch things.

The current print looks to be working, though. I don’t want to make the slope so gradual that it’s unclear what feature the tool is supposed to be lining up with.

I am definitely not critisizing your work. The new focus is way better than the wooden one. I love the precision. Thank you for making it. It was just a thought for the potentially accident prone.

2 Likes