Wood on the Rong Fu?

Is it inappropriate to machine wood on the Rong Fu?

I don’t see a table/list of appropriate materials to use on the Rong Fu, that would be good I think Rong Fu RF-45 Mill - Asmbly Wiki

Wood projects (i.e., the final result is wood) are not allowed in any part of metal shop. Partially because of the dust, but also because there is no point in doing a wood project in the metal shop. We have all the necessary tools for any wood project in the wood shop.

The additional precision you might be seeking using the mill or lathe is an illusion, because your wood will change dimension by many tens of thousandths when the humidity changes tomorrow. If you truly need thousandths of an inch accuracy in a project, you cannot use wood.

If you are using wood as part of a jig or other aid to machining metal or plastic, then it is permissible. In this case, you must clean all wood dust thoroughly afterwards, and you may have to re-oil the ways if you clean wood dust off of them.

2 Likes

I suppose we could add a material list to the Rong Fu page, but it would simply read: non-flammable metals and machinable plastics. Listing the latter is counter-productive, as you should be looking up the details on how to machine any plastic you wish to use anyway. That’s way beyond the scope of our wiki.

Permissible materials for the metal shop are covered in the required Metal Shop Safety class in any event.

Makes sense, thanks!