Where to store files for Asmbly projects

I’d like to store the files that I’ve generated for Asmbly projects in a public location. I just tried saving them to the Wiki, which has always been my plan, but the Wiki won’t allow me to save non-image files.

I have Fusion and PDF files for the MFT tables, as well as the Fusion file for the tables saw sled.

The files are important to to host publicly because they contain the consumable bits on each. The MFT Tops are consumables, as well as the zero clearance insert for the table saw sled.

2 Likes

It was requested recently – Laser Holdfasts - #10 by valerie – but hasn’t been used by anyone yet

caddy-shack-boat

2 Likes

we could probably set up a Mega for the space. It’s a great way to share and store files.

w00t! Merged @jiggliemon :git_merged:

@HannaKessler we came from a very sprawly systems background and try hard to work keep things tighter now by using the systems we have in place before introducing new ones. We should work with GitHub and Google Drive until we find they are totally incapable of meeting needs and demand necessitates adding something new.

Google Drive probably makes more sense for this kind of thing?

I don’t really know how the shared directory’s work in there though. GitHub feels fine for me but it’s likely a high barrier to entry for a lot of folks. Both for storing and for acquiring.

Google drive has a better interface for files (obviously. It’s all they do). But I don’t know about their collaboration interface (which GitHub excels at)

I will say we have a huge amount of devs in our community, but yeah GitHub can definitely be a barrier.

We also have these shared drive folders which are open for anyone to contribute so long as they have a Google sign in –

OPEN — Projects

OPEN — Social Media Content

2 Likes

I would use GitHub or GitLab for anything dev oriented, and OneDrive, Google Drive, etc for anything else. Git is better suited to iterative work and isn’t the best at storing large scale files, lots of images, etc. Plus, as it’s been stated, definitely not user friendly. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a wiki page that has a link to the GitHub and a link to something else for storing images, illustrations, and any other bulky files?

(Have a software development background and I always hear our manager nagging on people because of them uploading some stuff that doesn’t play well with its shortcomings)

GitHub Gists could be worth looking into as well. It’s a lot more user friendly but a tad less organized if that makes sense.

Android Users use this link for social media content!