Where do you buy machine screws?

I’m looking for a few M6-1.0 (~10mm length) flathead screws, but I’m having trouble finding something that has a 10mm (or slightly smaller) diameter head. I need them to sit flush with the top of these carbide cutters:

I got a few from Amazon and HD but they’ve been too large at around 11-12mm. Can anyone recommend a store where I can find something that would fit? Ideally hex drive, but Phillips would work too.

Maybe try Fastenal, there is a local store on Kramer.

2 Likes

Fastenal doesn’t accept walk in business anymore, as far as I know. I looked on mcmaster and didn’t see anything that would fit either.

1 Like

I’ve had good luck with BoltDepot for random hardware

Edit: that said, you’re looking for a really odd fastener. ISO 10642 definition of a hex countersunk machine screw calls for M6 to have a nominal head diameter of 12mm

2 Likes

Ah, didn’t realize it was such an unusual dimension. That’s a bummer. It might actually be easier to swap the carbide cutters for something that’s either slightly larger or includes whatever oddball screws it needs.

Still, thank you all for the suggestions – much appreciated!

You can probably sand or grind off that much fairly easily; you just have to consider carefully how you will hold and rotate them while you do it. Some sort of jig may be needed.

a split nut in the lathe would work well, if you don’t mind working quite close to the chuck

Hmm, I did get trained on the metal lathe but that was on the old one, many moons ago. I don’t think it’s even around any longer. Either way, I wouldn’t feel comfortable trying to do it myself.

That said: the inner diameter of the cutter of about 6.2mm. These are meant to go on woodturning tools, so I can drill and tap whatever size I want – is there an imperial equivalent that would work instead? The closest seems to be 1/4" but those seem to have an even larger-diameter head.

A good online catalog to see what is available is http://mcmaster.com

Metric wise the M5 screws have a 10mm diameter head - McMaster-Carr
Imperial #10 screw is 0.385" head diameter which is a little under 10mm - McMaster-Carr

You might want to check out American Bolt down on Burleson:

You can walk in and they didn’t make me buy a minimum when I picked up the bolts fo the little Laguna spoilboards.

Unfortunately, they are not open on the weekend.

2 Likes

Metalworking inserts often use custom screws for the hold down (for example, do an image search for “kennametal insert screw”). I wouldn’t be surprised if the same was true for wood. I’d try to find info about the cutter and/or the insert type; chances are the fastener is readily available - as long as you know what to search for.

For woodturning carbide tools, the cutters typically just screw onto the drilled/tapped metal bar, like so:

Or at least that’s the case with the handmade ones, maybe the commercial ones do use an insert.

But it sounds like an M5 would be a good choice, or maybe #8-32. Nothing to do but go to one of the stores you all suggested and try it out – thanks everyone!