What's up with the fiber laser?

Just curious what the status on the project is and if there are any planned updates? It’ll be so cool to finally try this out.

We need to assemble a team to continue installing it

Eric and Brendan have been working on it regularly. I know some parts of the original design had to be reconsidered Only they know the exact status.

@EricP @iheartblocks can we get an update on this thread please?

We just have a couple things left before we can do testing.

1. Finish install updated z-axis and connect drag chain to new assembly. 90% complete
    (I had to remake a couple parts as I had damaged some things on initial assembly)

2. Finish tuning Z-axis servo

3. Run coolant lines to head

4. Run Fiber cable to cutting head.

5. We have a lot of other fit and finish things that I mentioned in other posts that we can use help on ,so if you would like to help please
    comment on this post.

But for initial testing just 1-4 need to be completed

2 Likes

I’ll add that once the head is in, steps 2-4 are all pretty easy as we have everything on hand. Only semi-challenging part will be wiring the laser to the controller.

We also need to
6. add DI to the chiller
7. run the capacitance calibration on the ruida
8. add refrigerant to the chiller. @jamesfreeman volunteered (I believe) to do this if we can find the intake port

2 Likes

There is more to this project than that, and I wish it was not posted publicly like this without communicating with me. Most of the equipment is mine, there’s a lot of money put into it, and I’ve got boxes full of the proper equipment to build as designed. What’s there has a long list of significant issues and will be rebuilt. Most of the parts to do so are here, and there are parts designed waiting to be built. Part of that needs the Tormach and I don’t have access to that.

The rail shipment got lost and had to be re-ordered. The R&P, motors, drives, power supply, cabling, all that is here and we need to focus on moving forward with the final design please.