What blade is doing this to our sleds?

@chartex33 just made a miter sled, and almost immediately had this 1/4" groove taken out of it. I’m wondering if someone can help me identify what kind of blade it is that’s doing that. I’ve assumed in the past that it’s somebody mis-using a dado stack (only using one bookend of the stack). A standard kerf blade is barely over 1/8", and a thin kerf (typically on the saw) is a hair under 3/32"

There appears to exist this rare 1/4" kerf dado blade, but it’s hard to imagine someone in the shop bought it and is using it for cross cuts:

Someone used a similar blade almost immediately, and continuously on the standard sled. And you could make an argument that it’s excusable, for finger joints or tenons and the like (but there should probably be a separate finger joint sled). But I can’t for the life of me figure out why you’d use a dada or dado-ish blade for miter cuts.

Anyhow if someone can help me identify the kind of blade it is, then perhaps I can build defensively against it. I’m planning on making a zero clearance miter sled, and a picture frame jig. It’s hard to make anything precision when we got dados (or dado-like) riding rough shod all over our sleds.

1 Like

There is a dado set in the stewards cabinet for people to use that could have done this. Definitely good to label sleds no dado etc if you don’t want this to happen

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I did, and it still happens. Labeling a sled “No Dado” requires the user to know what a dado is, and subsequently care about the fact that people don’t want them to use a dado on that particular piece of equipment. Both are pretty variable.

Additionally I’m assuming that the dado in the cabinet is an 8" dado. And that would mean that someone made a decision to replace the existing thin kerf blade with an 8" 1/4" left blade in order to cut a miter (at least) on the table saw. I’m not saying that it’s not possible; but I feel like that scenario is unlikely. And why would they do that? Too lazy to switch blades for the miter after hogging out material for a dado or tenon. Or maybe because the dado is sharper than the blades on the saw? Maybe random ignorance?

I feel like, more likely there’s someone with a 1/4" kerf blade that they bring in with them, which they use for any process that they’re executing. If they need a sled, then the sled get’s the 1/4" kerf blade.

I’m tempted to make a canary sled, to see if I can identify the user + blade combo.

1 Like