Well that didn't last long - Small CNC spoil board

Thanks to the people who helped replace the spoil board. Yesterday it was really nice. Today is a different story. It smells like cutting oil. Found metal chips in the holes.

I thought we said no cutting fluids on the beds?

Cutting oils aren’t allowed on the machines. I’m not sure what was being cut, but this is very disappointing. Leaving the machine like this after using it, and not reporting a problem is unacceptable.

Hi guys,

This was me. I profusely apologize. The “cutting oil” is WD-40 and I honestly thought it would evaporate in short order (no more than overnight) which is why I used it. “No cutting fluids” on the CNC is not thing I recall hearing or seeing in writing but I’ll be sure to follow that in the future. Is there a stock of MFD in the facility that is for replacing spoil boards?

Alex

Thanks for responding Alex. I have updated the wiki for both CNCs to clarify the no cutting fluids policy. The spoil boards for the small CNC have to be cut to size, surfaced, and have dog holes cut. I’ll check the space tomorrow and see if we have any stock we can use.

I’ll probably just run a surfacing pass first to take off the top layer of the current spoil boards to see if that removes the WD-40.

2 Likes

I surfaced the spoilboard on the Small CNC and was able to remove about half of the WD-40 area. Tape adhesion to the area is mostly good. I recommend we use these slats for now until they need to be replaced.

4 Likes

Thanks for the open discussion on this and quick addressing of it! Maybe this is a good candidate for one of your lovely signs @stepho :awesome:

1 Like