Warning: Dorian and Tarkin have reversed x-axis

If you have a Lightburn file that you work up for Dorian and then you load it on Tarkin, double check your picture – you probably need to flip the file contents horizontally. I don’t know why, but the X axis is reversed between the two machines. Just look extra close on screen.

In related news, there’s a 2’x4’ sheet of Baltic Birch in the scrap pile if you only need one side of the sheet and don’t care about the 3.5 hour screwed up etch on the back side. :frowning:

1 Like

This is caused by the machines having different home orientations.

Sorry to hear about the wasted time.

1 Like

In your copy of Lightburn that you use to design, set up two Devices using the existing Dorian and Tarkin configurations. I’ve copied them below for your reference. Know in advance which laser you’ll use and design in Lightburn with that Device selected. The Origin will be correct and none of the SVG basic shapes will be flipped.

Tarkin
Tarkin Config

Dorian
Dorian Config

1 Like

I believe the developers were looking to fix this in a new revision.

2 Likes

Good to hear. We discussed this back when Dorian was just getting installed, and I’m convinced that this really should be fixable in pure software since it is such a trivial transformation. I had hoped to engage with Lightburn support directly about it, but never quite got around to it. Then we just kept using Tarkin and forgot about the tricky caveat.

1 Like

The whole point is that I switched between lasers. I couldn’t know when I started on Dorian that Dorian would completely fail me and I’d have to move to Tarkin to do my project. Tarkin did great, except my 3.5 hour cut came out flipped… I didn’t notice (there’s only one section with words on it) until the very end.

1 Like

That sucks.

I think I will always retain the habit of doing a few test cuts every time I start a new session. Usually these are just vector circles or squares. Thanks to your post, now I’m thinking I should use a small test design that includes text, to clearly indicate a reflection mistake.

1 Like

“Hello, World!” test cut :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine included text, but because it was rotated 90 degrees, my brain didn’t recognize it as backwards. :slight_smile:

Happy days! Project origin correcting is now in version 1.3 of Lightburn so upgrade!

Automatic flipping of loaded projects

Anyone with more than one laser knows that loading a file designed with a different origin causes designs to flip or mirror. This version of LightBurn will automatically flip loaded project files to the correct orientation, regardless of where the machine origin is. (Note: you have to choose the device first, then load the file)

1 Like

The installs at the shop need to be upgraded before you upgrade your copy. I should be able to install 1.13.01 tonight

2 Likes

What a great example of Ligtburn listening to customer suggestions. Thanks for sharing this @TravisGood

I’ve been informed by @dannym that the upgrade also includes PWM modification. This is somethingnhes been waiting for and uses for the photo rasters. Perhaps after some trial and error, Danny can teach members how he does those amazing photos.

3 Likes