Walnut serving trays

A few folks said some nice words about these trays as I was working on them (read: struggling with the miters) so I thought I’d share the finished product. Here they are, ready to be very awkwardly wrapped as Christmas presents for the extended family:

They’re about 18"x14"x2", made of walnut with maple inlay and splines, with walnut-veneered plywood as the bottom.

15 Likes

Those are very lovely. Thank you for sharing pictures!

3 Likes

Gorgeous! Are they gifts?

2 Likes

Yup! One per extended family household :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those are very nice. Walnut and maple always look nice together. I have a walnut and maple table and I love the contrast.

2 Likes

Gorgeous! I’m working on a black walnut serving tray of my own, actually. The grain on these is beautiful! The maple inlays are a great touch. Nice project!

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words, everyone! :smiley:

THOSE ARE AWESOME! :clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

Those look great! Now I’m looking at all my scraps and I should whip up something rather than taking up space…

1 Like

@Branislav Mind sharing what you used for a topcoat on these?

1 Like

Sure thing: I sanded to 220 and applied three coats of spray lacquer, no sanding in between, with the last coat buffed using crumpled craft paper. In other words, what Steve Ramsey suggested here. That buffing was absolutely critical, by the way. Really made it feel great to the touch.

I used Deft satin, per Ramsey’s video, but it seems to have disappeared from HD in the last month. Ace Hardware appears to carry it though.

I previously used oil (Danish or tung) for nearly everything, but wanted something that was quicker to cure (since this was time-sensitive) and a bit more resilient to spills. I’m a big convert to lacquer based on my experience here, at least for projects like these.

Oh wow, that looks dead simple, and with great results! Did you spray that on at ASMBLY or at home? I was warned against using certain varnishes in the shop during my orientation, but honestly I’m so out of my depth that I don’t know what products are going to be too noxious for the shared space.

Thanks for the links and details. This is a huge help for me!

1 Like

I would recommend finishing somewhere other than the shop. Even aside from the substances that aren’t allowed, the omnipresent dust in the shop won’t allow you to get consistent great results.

3 Likes

Happy to help! Like @stepho said, aerosols shouldn’t be used in the shop. I actually forgot that (:grimacing:) and did the first coat in the former auto bay but was then asked to move it outdoors. I did the rest in the driveway.

The good news is that lacquer dries so quickly you don’t have to spend a lot of time on it. Just try to time the process for a day/time when it’s not super-cold or humid, as I imagine those conditions might mess with the quality of the finished product.

1 Like