UPDATED POLICY: Metal Shop Scrap and Reycling

During this discussion ( Metal Shop Scrap and Recycling Reminders ), it became clear that people were unhappy that we were not recycling steel, and people have stepped forward to deal with it.

So the updated policy is: we recycle all aluminum, including chips, shavings, and millings. These go in the two labeled chip buckets, along with unusably small pieces. We have an aluminum only vacuum to use in collecting these. Usable pieces go in the scrap bin behind the RonFu mill – and with aluminum, even pretty small solid pieces can be useful.

We recycle steel, but only pieces. Steel millings are not as easy to collect, and I am not going down the road of maintaining three separate vacuum cleaners. Pieces that are potentially useful go in the scrap area. Solid pieces and unmarred sheets are much more valuable than random tubes in this regard. Smaller pieces or pieces with excessive welds or oddball shapes go in the new Steel Recycling Bin nearby.

Everything is pretty clearly labeled. I will update some of them shortly.

Anything in the scrap bins or in the recycling/chip bins is fair game to be used by anyone for any purpose. Anything elsewhere is not.

Along those lines, I have dropped several pounds worth of very usable (but not to me) pieces of aluminum scrap in the bucket. Some pieces of 1/2x2" bar stock and 1" plate. They’d be great for milling / CNC / TIG welding practice, and you could certainly make something usable out of them as well.

2 Likes

If you make small pieces like I often do, Josh has put a treasure trove of metal there.

I already made a special conversion washer for the back room sink drain from one piece he left.