Tool Software Prior to Class?

I wanted to ask about whether or not it’s prudent to get a copy and familiarize ourselves with the software used on some of the tools (CNC, laser, etc) before we take the course? Does the ASMBLY space have any deals/discounts/access to the different software for at home use or just while in the space? Thanks for any help!

1 Like

Hey Andrew,

I think it would be great to get started on learning some of the software for the different tools in advance of class.

If you want to use the community computers in textiles, you can get started with many/all of the tools. For the CNC, you’ll want to get started with Vcarve. The small lasers use Corel. I’m going to let someone else chime in for big lasers

Caveat - There are a variety of paths to take for each tool, of course, and other software is also possible to use depending on your preferences and the type of project you might be making.

1 Like

Small lasers also use Illustrator – I cut directly from Illustrator on Pearl. It’s personal preference on whether you use Corel or Illustrator for those ones.

2 Likes

Wood CNCs- I recommend starting with Vcarve as it’s the most accessible starting out. Get the free version and use the licensed version on the Asmbly computer to create the Gcode. Fusion 360 has integrated CAD and CAM, but has a steep learning curve.

Lasers- There are different software packages available but my preference is Lightburn. It’s $60 for a year license. It’s also installed on the laser computers (Dorian and Tarkin, not sure about the others) if you don’t want to purchase it.

1 Like

Lightburn is the spftware for the large lasers. VCarve is the software taught in the CNC. An email with V arve instructions isnsemt out the week of the class.

1 Like

Excellent info. Thank you all for getting back to me so quickly and I look forward to getting into the classes. I have woodshop safety and the CNC course registered so I’ll be in there making as soon as I can!

1 Like