Thermoplastic Scrap

I placed some left over 1/4" Thermoplastic from @morcutt 's vanlife project on the scrap wood roll around. I tried bending a piece using a heat gun with very favorable results. Must be cut slower on the CNC and other tools to avoid melting. Laser is a no go.

2 Likes

I’ll have a few 4’ x 8’ sheets of this after the project is done. Let me know if anyone is interested in any.

Hey Michael, I actually became a member today to convert a promaster 159 EXT I just bought. (atxhs member 2016-2019 where I spent many weeknights making arcade machines, drums, and helped folks 3d print!)

Was about to pay home depot for a few 4x8 birch sheets to put over my thinsulate + reflectix, but have looked into shedding ceiling weight with plastic.

Will swing by the shop once I get my openpath setup, and PM you once I figure out how, haha.

Nice! Sadly this is likely heavier than 1/4 birch. You might be able to trim it down with the CNC.

I was told it was lighter when getting the pallet but didn’t cross reference it with birch. It is noticeably heavier than baltic birch panels I have sitting around and have cut before. I’d buy thinner sheets for another build.

On another note, it will be safer in a wreck, fire, and is quieter than birch panels.

1 Like

Thanks, given my lack of CNC skill I’ll stick with 1/4" wood. There’s so many new van build methods I’m seeing crop up from the past year. As vanlife’s online popularity trends downward, I’m finding it to be a great time to harvest road-tested buildout knowledge (and scraps!) from veterans. Excited to network with like-minded creatives on the road in March, hopefully.