TARKIN- Is the entire space of the bed available for use?

@dannym Tagging you in on this.

I haven’t been to the space in a bit and was wondering if the sensor has been moved yet? Is the entire size of the laser bed available to be used yet?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Not yet, hasn’t been a priority, haven’t seen people needing more in the Y just yet, but it’s simple enough to add more. I left a new inductive prox sensor there, along with metric square nut to hold in the mini-slot. It needs a small, simple mount fabricated, I can show someone what it needs.

The existing sensor’s bracket is held on to the frame with VHB tape. As strong as VHB is, it will release with a few drops of isopropyl alcohol.

2 Likes

Gotcha, so all we need is to find a person to fabricate a mount? Is there anything I can do to help get this ready? I havent been using the space bc I need to use the full size of the bed—so I will gladly do anything to help get it ready.

2 Likes

Following up on this! Is there anything I can do to make this happen?

This needs to mount in the mini t-slot rail. I have this sensor in end-sense ("+" face) on the narrow square end and one where it faces up from one end of the long side. I believe the t slot is 4mm. There is a mounting hole in the sensor body, maybe 2.5mm, facing the same direction as the side-sense face. I have screws and forming tap.

I see it mounting horizontally, with the sense face upwards. Note the hole is 90 deg from the mini t-slot orientation. The bottom of the sensor is roughly level with the top of the t-slot opening but it may need to be shimmed into a precise location. When sensing aluminum, the sense gap is quite small.

This will replace the green prox sensor on an aluminum angle iron, which also blocks travel where it sits now. This is VHB’ed in place very tightly but rubbing alcohol will release it on demand.

If the sensor’s in the right place it just snaps into the quick-splice in place of the existing one

Excellent! Is that the piece that needed to be fabricated? So, if i am understanding correctly—we just have to install this sensor now? If so, would you have time tonight or tomorrow during the day and I could meet you there to help install? Or when would be a good time for you to meet to install?

1 Like

The piece just needs to be fabricated. It’s just a simple thing to hold the sensor. It can be aluminum or delrin

How can we fabricate this/ who can fabricate it? Does it have to be 3D designed? How would we make it out of aluminum?

I fabricated and installed it last night of of Delrin. It has 1M, although part of it in front- about an inch- is past the honeycomb in front. The wide cable drag tray in back interferes with the motor so it doesn’t go all the way back now, but it does have 1M.

I bumped width up to 1625mm. That gives a bit more extend space for raster.

Before I went to bed though I did remember the camera was added to the lid in front. We need to check that the head can’t collide with it if the head is moving at the very front of the machine

You are the best danny!!! Thank you so much, I was able to crank out a big project for a client already!

1 Like

Hey @dannym !

Is there any way that we can fix the cables on tarkin to be able to use the full size?
I know this might be irrelevant to you, but I spent a month designing a 39x60 piece bc I was under the impression that we could make it 39 in wide, I had to resize and that’s okay, just time spent, but it would be amazing if I could use the full bed of the laser. Given that I had to redesign, I had to lose 2 inches on each side of my piece which amounts to 8 inches all around—that came out to be a significant loss.

1 Like

There is 64in x 39in available. This does put the margins of the work on top of the metal frame of the honeycomb, but that’s not really a problem

Isn’t that a problem for keeping your material flat and your Z height consistent? Why aren’t we able to keep the range inside the honeycomb?

Hm I wasnt able to use it today. The laser head stopped an inch and a half too short from the top—on the honeycomb

It goes past the honeycomb in front

I’ve seen that it goes past the front edge, but what about these questions @dannym ?