Table saw scorching wood

For some reason when I’m running longer cuts, I’m occasionally getting some scorching near the end of my board. What is causing this and how do I fix it? It’ll be hidden in the end, but I should probably fix whatever I’m doing wrong for future reference. Also, I’m not sure how relevant this is, but it’s happening specifically with soft maple.

Edit: someone was able to explain the solution to me and why the scorching was happening.

1 Like

If it was consistent towards the end, hare to tell you it was probably you not holding the board against the fence. Usual problem for maple and long boards. If your technique was not it, blade not squared could be a culprit. A dull blade would have the same effect. That the orange blade has 50 teeth does not help you either. If none of these are the culprit, its maple :). Maple inherently has sugar that when overheated tends to cook and leave the lovely brown marks. It will happen if you are also agressive when using abrasives such as the drum sander, belt sander, and disk sander. Ways you can avoid that would be (if you’re going to keep using maple), get a ripping blade (less than 40 teeth) or give yourself the extra width so you can run your boards through the jointer once to clean the saw or burnt marks. Make sure the fence is squared to the jointer’s table. Keep making dust but clean after yourself! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My advice was to keep it moving, @CLeininger gave me the same advice and it has helped me quite a bit

2 Likes

Really dumb question, but it’s been the case multiple times- are we sure the blade isn’t installed backwards?