Sublimation on vinyl for stickers

I’m thinking about printing and cutting stickers. I know I can do it at home from my laser printer and Cricut, but is there an advantage to using sublimation to print on vinyl and cutting that instead? Would the colors be richer/more colorfast?

@jamesfreeman has done some of this. He brought in his personal cricut so we could try out this process with some sublimation-ready heat transfer vinyl that we put onto a t-shirt. I have the sample we made in my big box of sublimation samples (but apparently failed to take a picture of it) It came out really beautifully colored.

One of the two we were working on had a small fail where the cricut ended up slightly off it’s registration marks, so the cutting ended up slightly shifted.

1 Like

Biggest thing Ive seen. The sublimation vinyl tends to last longer, as the ink is fused to the material. Print on vinyl seems to fade quicjer, especially outside.

2 Likes

OK, the bigger question then is if it’s worth the hassle to DIY vs getting them done by a print shop at ~$1 per 3" sticker

I’ve spent my morning researching this, after thinking about it for a few days. Too funny.

There are a couple of crafters on the web doing this (making stickers, not HTV stuff), and comments show mixed results from people trying it. Oracal 651 is one product recommended here. How to sublimate 651 oracal vinyl - Sublimation on Oracal 651 tutorial - YouTube
Coating with clear spray paint is recommended by the Youtuber, if you want it more permanent.

A couple of web vendors advertise dye sublimation sticker paper, but it’s kind of pricey, and that’s before shipping.

I ordered a roll of the Oracal 651.

1 Like

Here’s a roll of glossy white vinyl, 12"x5’ for $2.85 + $8 shipping. I’ve ordered Oracal from them before, good company:

12" x 5' Roll - StarCraft HD Glossy Permanent Vinyl - White

Says “Sublimation: 345 degrees for 20-25 seconds” so maybe doesn’t need additional treatment?

Call Quik Print in crosspark rd, couple blocks from the space. Ask for Jon. See if he can quote your stickers for you, they are great and reasonable.

1 Like

Starcraft HD was recommended by another YouTuber.
That’s a good price for the Starcraft. The Oracal is $9.99 on Amazon.

I’m not sure about the extra coating.
I imagine that different vinyls will react differently. I know that the common understanding is that the sublimated dye becomes permanent. But commentary seems to indicate that some vinyls behave differently. Both for water and UV resistance. Just guessing, but maybe vinyl doesn’t allow penetration of the dye very deep. Fabrics are more porous, have more surface area, etc…

The molecular differences of vinyl vs polyester fabrics (feel like they) have to come into play somehow…. And that difference must affect permanence in some way. (All assumptions)