Sublimation and Print ➕️ Cut makes Happy Joaquim

Tonight we had so much fun goofing around. @Stephen-L-M showed us how an iphone can remove a background from an image. So of course we took a photo of @Joaquim showing his amazed face, and removed the background.
We then imported that image to Lightburn, added registration marks and traced it to create a vector border cut. Printed on Sublimation paper from Lightburn directly, boo for lightburn turning everything into gray scale.
After sublimating on to wood, we loaded it in the laser. Ran the Print :heavy_plus_sign: Cut, and out came a tiny Joaquim.

So much fun was had with this experiment.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Instructions on the iPhone trick: Lift a subject from the photo background on iPhone - Apple Support
It really is the best clipping tool I’ve found. It can also detect words in an image and select/copy/paste the words as if it was plain text.

2 Likes

did you do this manually, or is this a lightburn feature I’m not aware of? I could figure out making my own reg marks, but if there’s a tool to make it easier that’s awesome
(still haven’t taken my small laser class, so not sure if it’s a feature of one of the littl’uns)

1 Like

We just added them manually.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the iPhone trick - it feels like the feature I’ve been wishing for without knowing I was

1 Like

That was A TON of fun! I was astonished at how quickly we could combine many tips and tricks to develop a full profile of someone. I didn’t expect that someone to be me :sweat_smile:. In fairness, I had no clue what James was doing. If I did, I would’ve had him take a picture of my good side.

All-in-all, an extremely memorable night where we were trying out a new process and stumbling along until we got it right. And that’s what making’s all about

1 Like

I think this feature is only on the big lasers @jamesfreeman - could you clarify?

1 Like

The feature we used was a Lightburn feature, which is large laser specific.

1 Like

My apologies to all–the full story of that fateful Friday night has not yet been told. The pain and agony still grips my heart with fibrous tentacles. Up until now I wasn’t sure I could write it all down. But alas, I will try.

It all started when @Stephen-L-M disembarked from his spacecraft to refuel for the night. He discovered an amazing texture that is a rarity on his home planet: wood. He mentioned to us something about using this newfound material to construct orbital discs that will fly in our night sky. I remarked that this may explain some of the recent UFO sightings. He scoffed at my naïveté.

He then revealed to me his true purpose: He will use these discs to create a magical world full of chivalry, chicanery, and chauffeurs. I did not know what that meant at the time, and I still don’t now.

He had little time to waste with my genuine puzzlement. Tarkin, now at half power, managed to thwart Stephen’s hopes of mining the timber before dawn. For far too long this wood had stood in his path, taunting him. Dorian offered to help, but nay, Stephen would climb this woody tower alone, for twilight had come and gone.

He would not be discouraged–he would save the denizens of Lightburn! He swore this on all the Draw of Corel. I’d never seen such passion in a man’s eyes before. Stephen–I’m convinced now–must have been aided by some sort of alien technology. Of all things in life, this, I’m certain. It was supernatural how expertly he sliced through the villainous wood, leaving nothing but charred remains in his wake. I’d never witnessed such a massacre.

It was at this time I noticed I was not alone. The little-known Gorgon, and half-brother to Medusa, @jamesfreeman, had laid a trap. This was easy to do while I was captivated by Stephen’s power. Now that James had me in his sights, my body unnaturally stiffened, as if I was wood. It happened almost instantaneously after our eyes connected. Sheer panic filled my lungs as the color leaped from my body. How could I have been so foolish?! James and Stephen had been working together the entire time!

Then it struck me. Of course, James is the mayor of Lightburn! I should’ve spotted this seconds ago! Although my ability to think is now hampered by the cellulose seeping throughout my veins, I see James take measurements of my bodily outline. The glint in his eyes startles me as he mentions Print + Cut. The “cut” part terrifies me. He appears mildly amused until I hear him mutter, “Ugh…grayscale.”

At this moment I have another epiphany–I’m not only losing color and becoming stiff at the same time, I’m also shrinking! I find myself measuring the size of nearly 20 bottle caps stacked neatly on one another. I keep telling myself this is dream, but James’s mischievous smile persuades me otherwise. It was his demeanor that drew me in, and it’s the sweet same demeanor that will take me out.

I’m as a prop in a museum, my body mutated, colors washed, and my resolution dimmed. Now squashed onto the back of a board codenamed “Spare Parts,” I struggle for salvation. As my wits diminish, I quickly decide to pray to James’s god: Laguna. I’ve heard of his obsession with her–it’s no secret. He has two gods in fact: Laguna, and India. We all know which one he holds most dear.

I soon begin to feel a burning sensation near my shoulders, and I pray. I pray for all squirrels in the world to find a home tonight, and for my existence to remain intact.

“Not like this,” I keep thinking.

After less than 5 minutes I find my surroundings have changed. I’m placed upon the mantle nicknamed the “Wall of Fame.” James tells me I’ll be his trophy for a least a month or so, or, until Laguna comes calling once again. After that, I will cease to exist.

That’s my story, and we have to remember, all of this happened because a spaceship decided to land on a remote planet in an insignificant part of an uninteresting galaxy last Friday night. Stephen and James have won the battle, but not the war.

That being said, I would be remiss not to share Stephen’s moment of triumph. Behold!

One quest to rule them all!

Now that we’ve had our fun, I wanted to point out Stephen was grinding away that Friday night for a good cause: Breast Cancer Resource Center. In an effort to raise money for this noble cause, Stephen & others devised a way to excite the community and inspire us to help women suffering from breast cancer…and have a blast while doing it!

If you’re interested in roleplay and donating to a good cause, I’d recommend you check out Tickets - SCARE for a CURE. This is a fundraising event Stephen has been a part of for eons. It’s quoted as an “immersive, medieval fantasy like no other!” If any one of you have met Stephen, you know this will be over-the-top.

As legends go, there’s some people who say that when they lean into the little Joaquim on the Wall Of Fame they can hear his calls for help. It is a well known fact that the Joaquim you see roaming the halls is a clone.

2 Likes

I used Print and Cut for the first time today. It’s great! I used the CNC to draw registration marks and graphics, exported the vcarve file as a DXF and then cut the shapes on Tarkin.

3 Likes

Wow Michael this looks amazing! The graphics really pop & give it a ghoulish feel. Using the CNC to cut registration marks & exporting to Lightburn is very interesting. I was curious about how everything would line up, but it worked out great.

I might suggest exporting to AI file format from VCarve for importing to LightBurn. I’ve had very good luck with that preserving scale and clean vectors, plus I think it preserves richer metadata like line colors and groups. Still not perfect, but in my experience better than DXF and SVG.

SVG is definitely a poor choice. I love svg in my day job as a web developer because that’s what it was designed to do. It’s a markup language that’s easy to write and edit in plain text.

DXF is my default file transfer format for CAM. I maintain my designs in richer (and more proprietary) file formats. But when it comes to transferring from design files (Fusion 360, Mozaik, Maker.js, Illustrator) to machining software (VCarve and Lightburn) DXF is as easy as right clicking a sketch in Fusion or clicking a button in Maker.js. For me it’s the right tool for the job.

AI files and Adobe Illustrator are the superior solution for working with the Shaper Origin, however.

All good. I’m definitely in favor of using the simplest tool that does what you need.

I had some trouble way back with DXF export from VCarve specifically, but honestly it’s been so long ago that I don’t even remember precisely what it was (probably around VCarve 8 era). I seem to remember issues with closed vectors opening up randomly, though. If VC has fixed that sort of thing, great.

As an aside, the funny thing I find about the situation is that VCarve’s exported AIs load up great in LightBurn, but they tend to confuse Adobe Illustrator itself a bit. :roll_eyes: The artboard background doesn’t always come through as expected, and AI CS6 treats the files as “converted”. I haven’t looked into the details because I have workarounds, but I’m curious as to why. I wonder if VC exports some truly ancient AI format? Shrug.