Status of the parts tumbler

I hear that there is a parts tumbler at the space. I think I put my eyes on it yesterday over by the overhead doors. There was a lot of stuff in the way so I could not even look to see what the machine was but I would appreciate if that is it and if it works. Who to contact about use,

Thanks

There is a polishing tumbler, and it does work. It is stored in the far corner behind the abrasive blaster and the gas bottles. (Obviously, it has to be moved out of there to be used.) I am not currently familiar with its operation yet, though I think it’s fairly straight-forward. I believe @EricP is the main person who is familiar with it.

@mgmoore @EricP Thank you Ethan and I can explore getting it sorted later in the week given the weather. I will look for the media but guidance on that is welcome. Joe will be making some parts for me and I will need to deburr them.

Yep, it works you just need to flip the switch and let it run. In the neighborhood of 30min depending on the material.
What material is it ?

Also you will want to put a cup or so of water in it and a drop of dish soap

@EricP @mgmoore

Thank you Eric. I’ll be running a BUNCH of these parts:

5052 Aluminum Joe will be making.

I have been getting these parts from Sendcutsend.com and they noted that for parts of this size (2mm sheet / plate) they do NOT offer tumbling. I believe the issue is labor (?) The parts have a tendency to slide together that prevents all surface to be tumbled. I have a small tumbler at home and have experienced just that.

When there is too much surface area contact, the liquid in the media creates a suction that encourages the parts to slide together. Someone has to be present to monitor the parts. Kind of like the Principal watching High School students at the prom.

On a different note. I saw there will be a meeting about the fiber laser SIG this Sunday.

Is that still on?
Is there a different effort to set it up to opperate with appropriate safety barriers? Power? Ventillation? The usual?

The Laser SIG this weekend is not for the Fiber Laser.

@jamesfreeman Thanks for that!!!

But what is happening with the fiber laser? Still asking for money, of course. But all the other setup requirements?

oh great, yah the media that is in there is geared toward aluminum.

Work on designing a safety enclosure and developing a class are being done.

@jamesfreeman
Sign me up