Spring show and tell

It’s been a while, so I wanted to start a thread for folks to share projects. What have y’all been making?

1 Like

This is something I made a while ago and am picking up again to polish and improve: Open source gesture-controlled “magic” wands that can engage in wireless wand-to-wand real-time spell duels. (They can also do simple light shows and play other games.) $66 in parts from Adafruit, minimal soldering, 30 RGB LEDs and a speaker. The microcontroller is an ESP32, so it has plenty of storage space and two processors. They’re pretty keen. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Our gym just moved to a new spot and needed some seating. Was pretty happy with how these turned out. Snagged the last of the Osmo 3041 for finish right after they announced they were discontinuing the product.

8 Likes

@Chrisjmckinley those are very lovely. Clean lines, and nicely proportioned

Beautiful work! The design and execution look great and totally fit the location. Thank you for sharing your work.

Here is a ludicrously impractical vase I turned over the last couple of weekends:

And here it is with knit flowers (made by my mom), just barely squeaking into the “useful” category:

The vase itself is from ash and the lid and base are walnut. It’s 17.5" tall and the vase is ~2.5" at its widest point. That ridiculous aspect ratio is why I made a post about the steady rest recently – turning without one wasn’t ideal. I’ll make new arms for our existing one to accommodate really skinny pieces.

9 Likes

SO COOL! What a fabulous object

1 Like

Anyone else have projects to share? I’ll be adding these to the member project reel for the TV getting rehung in the lobby so they will be on display for the party!

Here’s one I helped a friend make recently for mother’s day gifts commemorating her grandmother who recently passed. Their last name is Garfield and she loved the song “Unforgettable” :heart:

6 Likes

If you saw me struggling with 9-foot faux beams (really torsion boxes) in the shop recently, it’s because I was building this structure to hide the TV on the bedroom wall when it’s not in use:

I used sliding closet door hardware to hang the poster frames.

7 Likes

I sewed this roof for my west Texas house on the juki! I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out given my generally lax attitude towards measuring. There are a few improvements to it I’ll make when I’m back in town (reinforcing the bits that rub on wood, adding some more tie down points, sealing the seams).

After a few days hanging out under it in various conditions, I’d rate it:
10/10 for providing shade
10/10 for staying in place under windy conditions
8/10 for keeping me dry on light/medium rain
3/10 for keeping me dry during a surprise terrifying thunderstorm with sideways rain in the middle of the night (not it’s fault tho)

7 Likes

Right there with you on lax measuring! :grin:

1 Like

The raw materials that will soon turn into the textiles sign.

7 Likes

@Chrisjmckinley I’ve never heard of 3041 until now and it’s interesting the “neutral” actually has (or had) white tint to counter the yellowing of light woods.

I’d be interested if you find an equivalent of 3041 from Rubio or Odie’s oil. I don’t really care for how white oak yellows when finished, even with “Clear matte” 3031.

Agreed.

It’s been an ongoing conversation between Lyndee and I to try and find something that doesn’t yellow hickory, white oak, ash, etc. We’ve talked about adding white pigment to one of the other options, but haven’t actually tried it yet.

@Chrisjmckinley, I don’t know if you’ve tried Rubio Monocoat, but I’m trying some samples of Pure, Natural and 5% white. On my test piece, Pure seemed similar to clear Polyxoil, and natural was too light for my taste. I haven’t received white 5% yet but am hopeful it’s a nice compromise.

I haven’t ever used Monocoat before but apparently it is a popular Polyxoil alternative.