Specialty Tools - Adding a Makita Track Saw!

What are Specialty Tools?
The Festool Domino is a Specialty Tool.

Now, we are adding a Makita Track Saw.

The Festool Domino was our first Specialty Tool. With the Makita, we are folding that and the Domino into this new Specialty Tools category. One training class will give you access to both tools.

For people who already have taken the Domino class, we will offer free training on the track saw. Stay tuned!

These tools will be kept in the new OpenPath storage lockers. If you have taken the class, your OpenPath credentials will allow you to access the appropriate locker.

The lockers and the Specialty Tools will go live this week.

10 Likes

TRACK SAW! So delighted this has been added

2 Likes

Nice! Track saws are super useful. I recommend we pick up some pink insulation foam to use with it as a backing for large sheets.

3 Likes

Yep. A rigid insulation panel is on my shopping list.

@cfstaley do y’all need an extra 55 inch Makita track? I have an extra one (and the bars that attach two of them together to make one 110 in track). Tried the two tracks as one thing and didn’t like it, so I bought the 118 inch track, leaving me an extra 55 inch.

It has a dented corner on the non-cutting side that doesn’t affect performance at all, but happy to donate it.

3 Likes

I’ve heard from others that the track extension isn’t fantastic. However, Sure! It at least gives us an option. We can get a 110 track later, once we’re using the track saw.

It’s not as good as a 110 track, for sure, but works ok. I’ll drop it off next time I’m in the space.

4 Likes

Will the training include “what is a track saw”? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome! Will there be official classes for those already trained with the domino tool? Or will the track saw training be more informal. Looking forward to being able to use the track saw!

We’ll set up demo classes, and get folks squared away. Announcements on those specifics to come.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: it’s certainly a specialty tool. Although it’s not unheard of to have a track saw and dedicated table/space replace a table saw.

Peter Millard is maybe the most YouTube example of a guy who runs a cabinet shop without a table saw.

2 Likes

I wanna be Peter when I grow up

1 Like

@cfstaley is there a trick to accessing the domino cabinet? I just want to make sure I was added to the open path access as I took the class a few months back

I was having trouble getting in there last week, Ethan had to open it for me despite being on skedda. Not sure if it’s fully set up yet

I have access in the OpenPath app but was getting an error recently. This is what it was looking like for me while other OP locks were working fine:

If you’re permissions have been provisioned correctly, you should see Storage Lockers listed in the app. If it’s not there, then we’re missing something in the class accounting side and you should email classes@asmbly.org to get that straightened out.

While we’re on the topic of specialty tools
Let me just leave this right here…

4 Likes

I attached the new splinter guard.

1 Like

Thanks, Chase!

Are there any upcoming specialty tool classes? I’d like to use the track saw next week but didn’t see any specialty classes on the schedule.

We do have a couple on the schedule at the moment (Oct. 7th and Nov. 4th). Try looking under the woodworking category to narrow things down.