Sourcing Western Red Cedar and Questions

Hey! Looking to build an outdoor standing plater box. Didn’t realize that fine lumber didn’t carry western red cedar. Where do y’all source yours?

I reached out to Cedar Supply Inc in Kyle and prices look decent. However they’re a bit out of the way.

Also talked to Wampler Manufacturing LTD out in Bastrop. They were helpful and had decent prices, but only had eastern red cedar, which isn’t the look I’m going for.

Does anyone have experience with western red cedar from home depot? Only seeing 8/4 stock at my local one, and it’s listed as “rough green cedar lumber” which concerns me on the SawStop. Looks like they may have different stock down south.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Did you check with Georgetown Lumber, across the street from Fine? They carry a lot of decking lumber.

1 Like

+1 on GTown. Last I looked their website wasn’t the best, but they seem able to get anything cedar at reasonable prices if you give them a call.

1 Like

There is also Austin Wholesale Decking at 10900 N LAMAR BLVD, AUSTIN, TX 78753. Used them for Western Red Cedar when I built my deck over 25 years ago and the deck still is in great shape.

1 Like

The Home Depot options may be different now as I built my planters about 8 years ago, but the “rough” cedar worked great for my planters without much processing. The only work I did on the wood was using a circular saw to cut the lengths for the short side and used the full 8 foot length for the long side. Depending on the prices other places it may be worth checking out what it looks like at HD.

1 Like

Drew, Good morning to you!

I get both 1x4 and 1x6 square top cedar fence pickets from Viking Fence - they let you pick through them if you have a modest order.

I want to say they have the 6’ - select grade #2 for like $3 apiece. See: Wood & Cedar Fencing - Austin TX - Viking Fence

I’ve made two styles of planters at Asmbly with them. See attached…

Good luck, Steve

2 Likes

Those look really great Steve!

1 Like

Thanks y’all! I’ll look through some options and let you know what the finished product looks like!

We just built this if you’d like to swing by and check it out

4 Likes

Bought the wood from McCoy’s

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JNMwUMUCaSUxTGJ39?g_st=ic

2 Likes

That looks amazing! Are the boxes themselves on french cleats or screwed into the frame?

Yes French cleats so easily interchangeable, really nice design! Here’s my final top-row

1 Like

@ashleyrlee Your design is brilliant! And beautiful too. I’ve been toying with idea of making a planter for herbs but couldn’t decide on what I wanted. Thanks to you, that problem has been solved. I’m definitely going to give it go utilizing your design.

1 Like

I’m guessing this isn’t quite what the OP is looking for, but FWIW the Habitat ReStore down south on Ben White has a huge supply of rough-milled and raw cedar…

There’s even more out front, so I have a feeling they’d accept just about any offer to take some. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

J-LoM - Thanks, great post. Is that the Habitat store at 500 West Ben White Blvd?

Yup, that’s the one.

Thanks a million. Heading down there today.