Sourcing spalted maple

Has anyone seen spalted maple around town? I haven’t seen it at fine lumber and it’s not listed on brazos’ site.

Woodcraft had a bunch of ambrosia maple last time i was in there. Not exactly the same…. But kinda has the same effect IMO

The small mills around the area usually carry it. Berdoll, Swift River and others. Swift River virtually specializes in it, and Berdoll typically carries quite a bit. It’s a local offering, so local mills are best.

1 Like

Could you just get some regular maple and spalt it yourself?
Sorry, I’ll see myself out…

1 Like

Thanks @cfstaley! I hadn’t heard of Swift River before. They look like a really awesome company! Might be worth a day trip out there.

He’s a retired engineer, and started growing pecans 20+ years ago as a side gig. Then he put in mill equipment as a side gig to the pecan farming. Now that’s a big part of his business. He’s the guy with the equipment to remove large old Texas native pecan along the river in San Marco. And there are a lot. 20k to 30k bf of kiln space. And he grows delicious pecans. He’ll still have some in the freezer, but not as large a selection as in the fall.

1 Like

….definitely not me wanting pecan (both foodstuff and beautiful wood slabs) :crazy_face::joy:

Well worth going out - troy has a great selection !

2 Likes