Solder paste in the lab

Is there any solder paste in the electronics space? I’ve got a 1x1” board I want to reflow tomorrow but my solder is died up (in storage over a Texas summer). Alternatively is there a place around Austin I can buy solder paste from?

I don’t believe we have any solder paste in the elab. We would need a refrigerator in the elab and it just hasn’t been a priority. I was actually about to order some paste, but I keep procrastinating because I would also have to order a fridge.

As for local suppliers, I suspect none. EIS has a site in Houston, but even that is probably a warehouse that is going to just drop ship stuff to you.

ChipQuik makes thermally stable paste you don’t have to refrigerate. I used a syringe for the first time a month or so ago and didn’t notice any difference from refrigerator paste.

Unfortunately, I used every last drop. If anyone finds some locally let me know where. Altex has some electronics repair supplies (irons, solder wire, flux, braid, tips, cleaners), but not sure if they have paste. Mouser in Dallas/FW will have some and UPS ground arrives next day.

I know that most of the solder pastes claim to be stable on shelf at room temp. I just haven’t found that to be true, in practice.

If I don’t refrigerate and seal my paste, after about 3 months I find that the paste doesn’t wan’t to spread well on my stencil printer, and the solder joints start to look pretty crappy after reflow. But, then, I’m printing 0402 components and similar density QFN’s.

I actually bought compressed Argon cans that are used for for sealing wine bottles for this exact reason. Nitrogen would have been more than sufficient (and probably cheaper), but I couldn’t seem to find a can or CO2 bullet-like container of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Nitrogen-Chargers-Coffee-Makers/dp/B0B4BLQ6KH/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B0B4BLQ6KH&psc=1 not sure if you need them anymore, but I came acorss these ones a while ago. They’re used for nitro cold brew at home

I saw those, but I’d have to come up with a way to discharge them. And it seems like you have to fire the whole capsule at once. I only need a couple squirts at a time.

So, I opted for something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/ArT-Wine-Preserver-Enjoy-Your/dp/B01MEHJCQ2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=84X38TEHFA17&keywords=argon+wine&qid=1661317263&s=home-garden&sprefix=argon+wine%2Cgarden%2C111&sr=1-3

1 Like