SoCo Market Setup

Like @Joaquim mentioned in the last recap post, I set up to table on South Congress on Saturday morning!

I got there around 9:30 am for setup, parked my car in an unloading zone, set up my table and dropped boxes of product, quickly parked my car, and went back and set up my table!

Apparently Saturday was one of the most abnormally slow days in a while (bc it was so cold!!) but I made a few sales and learned a lot! I talked to the other people tabling - most of them were awesome + gave me great advice:

• Get here around 8:30am (maybe a little earlier when it’s nice out) for setup to get a back in spot right where you’re going to table (easy unload/ load back up)
  • there’s no charge to set up + vend on the street, no need for permit or license, etc.
  • One of the best setup areas seems to be the block where it stretches from gueros to perlas, closer to the perlas side.
  • The spots are first come first served but there are people who have set up in consistent spots for years (don’t take their spot, + just be respectful generally - they’ll guide you politely if you’re in someone’s spot, at least they did for me :slight_smile:
  • the weather very much affects foot traffic!! it was overcast and therefore lots fewer people out (especially earlier in the morning)
  • there is some beef with one of the vendors specifically (he sells hats but has been causing issues, has been talked to by perlas, hopdoddy, basically just disruptive and rude to people, often acts manic, has turned almost all artists + restaurants on the street against him, gives vendors a bad rap when they’re generally peaceful + kind)
  • you can usually tell how the day is going (customer and foot traffic wise) by looking @ perlas patio starting around 11am, which was pretty empty today (it’s cold!)
  • you can leave your table briefly to use the bathroom + neighbor tables will make sure nothing whack happens while you’re gone (perlas is very nice + you can use theirs it’s in the doors towards the back left)
  • bring some type of work to work on while vending if possible - it’s cool to show people a skill while they’re browsing, makes it less tense and therefore people are more comfortable approaching, and there will be times where it slows down and you’ll really just want something to work on

Basic needs to setup:

• folding table
  • folding chair
  • products
  • a way of accepting $$ (I currently accept Venmo, cash, + tap to pay - will probably get a card reader to also accept cards that aren’t tap!)

Great to have (optional):

• QR code to website, insta, etc.
  • business cards
  • other self promotional materials
  • QR code to custom order form (if you plan to do custom work)

Overall, this seems to be a good way to secure quick cash flow when necessary, especially if you’re already sitting on product. It also seems like a good, low-risk way to see what product excites people

I sold a small selection of rotaried glasses, etched palo santo sticks, and keychains. Other booths had jewelry, art, hats, i’m thinking funky sublimation tshirts/tote bags would also do well

This is the basic info I gathered! Please let me know if anyone has other questions + i’ll update as I continue trying markets!

9 Likes

This is an incredible breakdown! Exactly what I was hoping for. Have a few questions:

1. Did you get a feel of the general pricing people had? For instance, was anyone selling art there for $100+?
  2. Were there any vendors who appeared to be strikingly successful? If so, do you have any insight into what they were selling and/or their technique?
  3. How did you determine how much to sell your product for?