Small DIY dust collection questions

I finally started putting together a small dust collection system for my small home shop. I didn’t realize how much of a hassle it would be to get these various hose sizes connected. It seems like even the hoses/ports/fixtures with similar sizes don’t fit together with a seal. I bought like six adapter kits and none of them really work. Are there any actual standards with this stuff? Is this a normal problem? Any suggestions? I’m considering 3d printing all of the adapters with flexible filament.

I just bought a wet/dry vac that I like for general use, and I wanted it to also work as the vacuum source for dust collection. But it has a ~1.25" hose (which, being smaller and more manageable, is a plus for me, in and of itself), and it looks like all the small cyclone products use a ~2.5" hose. I know that generally speaking it’s not the best idea to step down in diameter like that, but I figured it would work well enough for very light use. Is that a dumb idea?

Here’s what I’m currently trying to get to work together:

Any advice welcome, thanks!

2 Likes

About the only ‘standard’ is, there’s no standard. Best bet is to buy from one brand and stick with them. Cobbling stuff together, can be a bit of a black art/skill.
I have no experience with the Dustopper. I will say that the design will require a large volume of air to accelerate the fine particles out. Dust Deputy sells a good cyclonic separator, that works well for small set-ups. The Space has a cluster of Dust Deputies, for Danny’sCNC table. Not sure if they’re still being used, post dust collection upgrade in the Space.

Good luck

2 Likes

For posterity: I got the flexiport hose kit from Rockler, it was an almost perfect solution. I just had to supplement it with one “Plumbqwik” rubber PVC coupling.