Show your work - Desk Inlays for wireless charging

Just before the Laguna CNC was installed I was working on a project for putting in wireless charging on my sit/stand desk. It went on hold as the Lagunas were being installed and then a little while longer as I worked on other things in life. This morning I was finally able to have some time to go into the shop and do my first run on the Laguna Swift CNC and finish this project:

The effect is just what I wanted and the Magsafe charger doubles as a generic Qi charger, so I can do wireless charing for other phones and devices as well.

Here is a video of it in actual use:

One whoopsie during the built was that the desk is made from bamboo, and it appears that some of it is reclaimed. While drilling out the Magsafe area I cam across two nail holes where nails had been pulled and one where the nail was left in place. The bit was destroyed as a result:

Fortunately the machine kept zero and I was able to restart the job with a new bit (after resetting the Z height).

The most frustrating part of the build was that I could not find the puck for zeroing the Z axis. I looked all over the place, only to realize as I was finishing the job that it is right there on the front of the machine :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I’m glad to hear that you had such success. It looks great. Well done

1 Like

Nice idea to use the actual magsafe chargers, and to recess them into the top rather than mount them in a hole underneath. I’ve tried the second method, with cheap wireless chargers, and it’s always a challenge to get the phone placed correctly, and the added distance/interference always makes them slower as well. Looks good!

Looks great! My only question is: how many AirPod Pros do you own to have them labeled by number? :joy:

Thanks for posting about your project, even the broken bit!