⛔ Shop Closure Notice — Saturday 9/16

We try hard to keep shop closures to a minimum and I hate that this one is happening so soon after a several hour closure this weekend.

Next Saturday, Sept 16th Asmbly will be closed while we have a professional photo/videographer coming in to take footage. The shoot is supposed to be 10 hours long, but we haven’t yet confirmed which 10 hrs of the day it will be (hoping to have that nailed down within a few days). We will not open the shop to members on Saturday before the shoot starts, but we will immediately open the shop back up when the shoot is finished (we will post on Discourse to let everyone know and open up reservations on Skedda).

This photoshoot is a precursor to a website overhaul and will give us real content for website images instead of generic stock photos. We are still actively working towards moving to a new location in the second half of next year, so the photographer we’re working with is taking particular focus on getting lots of great footage that translates to the next location, in addition to footage of the current space itself so we can give people a good feel for where we are now.

In this shoot, we are working to ensure that we are showing people from a wide variety of groups and walks of life to reinforce that Asmbly is a space where everyone is welcome and can safely create. We’re reaching out to specific folks in the community to invite them to be a part of this shoot in an effort to achieve that. If you don’t hear from me by tomorrow evening and you would like to be involved in this shoot, please email me directly — valerie@asmbly.org.

I will have more info and updates on this hopefully tomorrow night. Deepest apologies if this closure is negatively impacting anyone’s projects. Please reach out to me directly if you are working actively working on a project and have concerns.

Note: The QR code in the image just goes to this post. This visual in on the TVs in the space to spread the word and we’ll be sending a notice through Neon momentarily.

10 hours is a long time do you know which block yet?

@ashleyrlee not yet. The photographer is currently on a shoot and we’re waiting to hear back. As mentioned, we’ll update here as well as on Skedda as soon as we know. We’ll also provide updates day of in both places if the timeline changes at all.

OK, got the time info nailed down! The shoot should be wrapped by 6pm on Saturday. For now, we’re setting Skedda for opening back up at 7:30pm to give some skid room in case it’s needed. In all likelihood the shop will be reopened sooner than that, so anyone who is planning to come in that night and wanting to get in quickly, be sure to check here for the latest timing updates!

1 Like

Good luck with the shoot! Should the glue up tables be clear or can overnight glue ups be started Friday night?

1 Like

@luke thank you! We had a good meeting prep today and I’m confident we’re going to end up with some really amazing footage.

Excellent question and thanks for thinking of this! I think it’s probably OK to leave glue ups Friday night, so long as people are OK with us moving them the next morning (I think overnight should be plenty of time for them to be safe to move). There are a few shots for the video where I think we’ll probably want all the tables cleared off, but otherwise it wouldn’t hurt to have them there and maybe even be nice for having a few shots of.