Sheet metal brake/shear use?

Hello everyone, I’ve seen there is a sheet metal brake and shear combo in the metal shop, I was wondering if there’s a specific class I need to take before being allowed to use it?

Thanks,
Rodolfo

Tagging metal shop folks on this – @mgmoore @SavHarvey @mkmiller6

1 Like

Unfortunately that’s all rather up in the air. We should be getting the BSR combo onto a stand finally soon. We were intending to cover it in a required class, but that class doesn’t exist yet and we don’t have anyone to teach it. Do you have much experience with a brake and shear?

This would be nice for me. How big is the brake?

52" Dayton Sheet Metal Machine - Asmbly Wiki

<3 I look forward to getting to play with it sometime… and it’s a roller. <3

Hi Ethan, I’ve used shears and brakes plenty before so I am comfortable using them, but I am by no means an expert. I’ve only used a roller once, and it has been a long time, so I wouldn’t mind some training on that part of it.

The brake and roll functions really well. The shear has an issue with the spring clamping foot. @mgmoore has been chasing the problem down. I am helping out because Ethan is running short on time. Also it is great to give a hand with projects so we can share the load of work. The clamp doesn’t hold your material for some reason at the moment you need to shear something. I have some springs on the way to help solve the problem.

We are going to try a double spring setup with a nut to set the spring rate. One set of springs that is coming from a $10 Amazon is a bicycle shock. It will probably get returned. Who knows.

The long point of this post is to let everyone know that it is being worked and put into service in the future.

I have been working on the BSR. I accidentally ordered the wrong size springs from WB Jones Springs. I have the correct size springs on order as of this morning. I also have other springs from Amazon that I thought might work. One of the Amazon springs is a replacement valve spring for a Kia. It works.

I placed a washer in between the upper and lower spring. It helps spread the load evenly to the other spring. You can hear the washer rub the threads. I’m considering making a sleeve that also has a built in washer in the middle to help the spring slide smoothly against the threads.

The clamping foot is set to the correct height. No need to make adjustments.

3 Likes

I can help make that sleeve if you would like. Sounds like a fun little lathe project. It would replace the top spring, and also provide a seat for the bottom spring, correct?

2 Likes

I will draw a sketch tomorrow morning. I definitely welcome the help

@atwatsoniii here is a crude sketch. The od of the washer is .75”. Please chamfer all inside holes. Bonus if you want to do outside chamfering. I’m sorry it is in imperial with one metric measurement thrown in there. I was being a bit lazy.

Let me know if you have any questions for me? Thanks again!

All we have at the space is aluminum round bar, which would work, but probably not the best. I’ll see if I can find a steel drop at metals4u. If I can’t I’ll just use the aluminum we have.

If you can’t find and drop. Let me know. I have .750 stress proof steel rod

@JoeN I just made one. IIRC, The od is actually ~.55 since the hole needed to be about .48. Not sure what spring combination you were aiming to use, but it just fits the id that smaller spring. Although, test fitting with the existing springs, I don’t think it works (binds up, center needs to be shorter maybe). Honestly it seems like the big shiny spring on the other side works fine, so maybe we can just use that on both sides (although that left side might need some extra pre-load with some washers due to the reduced travel before the cutting begins).

@atwatsoniii it is beautiful. The new shiny spring on the right side is from @jamesfreeman. There is a stubborn part of me that likes the valve spring on the left. If it doesn’t work out. I will concede and change the left set as well. I hope you get to shear something

I tried the part you made. I made a mistake and trying to get that setup to work. I was being stubborn. I switched over to the new spring that @jamesfreeman purchased. It works great. @atwatsoniii Thank you again for making the part. Hopefully you got a little more lathe time.

1 Like

Glad to hear the spring is working. Thanks for helping facilitate the repairs @JoeN. To find the springs I ordered, I measured the collapsed length and the extended length. I googled a spring catalog and compared to my measurements. Guessed at the spring lbs rating, I believe 45 lbs was the number ordered, and took a chance. Sometimes we get lucky.

3 Likes

I have some backup springs as well. Hopefully we can make these springs last a while. I think we shortened the bolt too much and deformed the original springs.