Shaper Chair Project

This Sun (July 9) from 1:00 - 3:00 PM, David Disko and I will be cutting some parts for a chair. Anyone that wants to join the fun is welcome. Here’s a picture of the shapes we’ll be cutting.

3 Likes

Picture of the finished chair. We’re using walnut sides and Maple slats and back.

1 Like

Will you guys be cutting the fixturing jig(s) they use to cut the mortises too? I’ve been super curious about how that’s designed and how it mounts to the Workstation.

1 Like

David did that, so that’s what we’ll use Sun.

I cut the parts on the laser just to double check that the blanks are the correct size before we cut. While at the laser I cut the jig for the same reason. That mortising jig is 1/4" thick and will most likely work for the jig but may cut it on the Shaper out of thicker material to help it seat better.

All we were able to accomplish on Sunday was to cut one of the front legs. We got a late start and had to decide some of the design details. Tommy should post some pictures of the leg over the next few days.

David and I were joined by Luke, fresh from the @ashleyrlee orientation class. We got one of the legs cut with the Shaper. The time to finish this first cut is much longer than the rest of the cuts will be, I’m sure.
Edit: I tried to post pix from iPhone but got wrong file type error message. That’s a first for me. Will try again later.

3 Likes