Scroll saw class?

I’ve become obsessed with following #womenwhowoodwork on instagram and people are making amazing things with scroll saws. I think I recall seeing a dust covered scroll saw in the corner of the old lathe area before it moved. Do we still have that and is there anyone at the space who could teach an intro scroll saw class?

1 Like

I think so!

I had the whole space to myself a few days ago so I just took pics of every room, glad I was able to see the scroll saw in this panorama

2 Likes

I know a guy who is a scroll saw master and is a great teacher. If I can get him to agree to a class we can set one up. As a backup, I can find someone else. My experience with the scroll saw is limited and am not sure if I can help to any degree.

Are there any specific projects you are interested in?

3 Likes

There’s actually two hobby-grade scroll saws in the space (the other’s under the bench). Really good scroll saws are surprisingly inexpensive; If a scroll saw class is more than a one-off I’d definitely be in favor of picking up a couple Excaliburs.

1 Like

Awesome! I would love a class on lettering. I know you could cut the this with the lasers, but there is something about seeing the full grain on the edge without the char that it so gorgeous.

2 Likes

Another exhibit: those folding collapsible fruit bowls. Easy to make out of a cheapie thin cutting board with a scroll saw and three screws. With laser-charred edges they wouldn’t look nearly as interesting.

2 Likes

but you could laser-mark a pattern and cut it on the scroll saw…

Very cool! I’ve never seen that project before.