Sand blasting cabinet

Can someone guide me on how to get the sand blasting cabinet blasting sand again? there were instructions on the sheet to not change or add media to it so i left it alone, but i do need to use it at some point soon, so help would be appreciated.

Tried to use the sand blasting cabinet this morning real quick to clean something up. i was able to get it up and running easily enough. however, there was no aggregate coming out of the gun. i shut it all down and looked into the vortex generator and it was full to the door of blasting media. i would imagine it just wasnt pulling enough section to pull blasting media into hte gun, but i’m not sure.

hopefully this is the right space to put this post in.

@JoeN @dannym or anyone else who knows?

1 Like

Someone added large sand granules and a course black diamond abrasive. I think the media is getting clogged. The mixing valve is now missing a mixing screw. Also the moisture ridden air is probably causing some clumping.

I will get a screen to sift the abrasive sometime this weekend. I will also look for a new mixing screw.

Here is a video of the mixing valve. Video

1 Like

glad i didnt mess with it too much then. i did drain the water knock out, but think it may need a larger one.

should it be redtagged til such as time as it can be sifted?

1 Like

@tripl.e1191 that sounds a great plan. Please red tag it if you are going to be in the shop

1 Like

The new mixing valve has been made. At some point this week the bell will get welded in and it will be functional again. The new gun has too large of an orifice. It is draining the air compressor faster than our poor anemic compressor can handle. I’m going to look for a smaller orifice consumable. Also with a good mixing vavle we can turn down the psi to 40 or 50 psi thus extending the range of the air compressor.

1 Like

The new bell has been welded in place and mixing valve installed. I also sifted the abrasive. There was a lot of garbage in the abrasive. I also reinstalled the triggerless gun. There is a smaller orifice nozzle coming in the mail this week. The new nozzle will help. I have also turned the air regulator down to 40 psi. I was able to blast continuously without having to wait for air compressor to recharge. Also the left glove has been replaced.

1 Like

Garbage in the abrasive. I’m going to leave this weird cocktail for now. I will dump it for aluminum oxide. Which is more resilient

1 Like

Joe, this is super beautiful. Thanks for doing this.

The old switch had become unreliable. The switch should give us reliable service for a long time.

The cabinet got a tune up. The air pressure has been dialed to 50 psi and the mixing valve set. It was torture tested today on many parts that needed cleaning. It now reliably shoots abrasive and the compressor can keep up.

1 Like

Bravo! Thanks @JoeN. I have a few things very much in need of sand blasting, and so I doubly appreciate your hard work.

1 Like

Remember to stand 6 feet away from the next person in line at the blasting cabinet :slight_smile:

1 Like