Sand Blaster - Could Someone Show Me The Ropes?

Hey ASMBLY folks - I’ve got a project I want to try sandblasting with, but I’ve never used the sandblasting cabinet. As far as I can tell, there isn’t a class for it - is there a member that would be down to meet me at the space and spend 30 minutes showing me how to operate it?

1 Like

It is pretty easy.

-Plug in the shop air from the air reel above the welding area.
-There is a clamp in the front that locks the unit. Open the clamp to load your part then lock it.
-Turn on the power. The lights and dust extractor will turn on.
-Get the nozzle within a few inches of the part. Probably 2 or 3 inches away.
-The blue pedal is what actuates the abrasive.

Happy Blasting!

1 Like

If you’d like, I can also give you a quick hands-on rundown one day while I’m at the space. I’ll be available tomorrow from about 3-6pm.

3 Likes

They can remove a lot of material in a hurry, so if final shape is important, I would consider practicing on a spare part first.

1 Like

Thanks all for the quick reply. I’ll give it a go, I am worried it’s a bit much for the level of material removal I need but we’ll see! Matthew - thanks for the offer, I won’t be able to make it up to there until this weekend. Honestly from Joe’s description I believe I’ll be able to handle it!

1 Like

I would definitely get some scrap material from one of the bins and experiment with it. I find you can modulate the strength a great deal by varying how you pass the sprayer over your material, especially how quickly and how closely.